Bees Making a Lemon Smell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have two colonies, both with new queens (one from an old colony on which I did an artificial swarm; the other fromm emergency queen cells from a colony that lost its queen a few weeks ago). Just inspected and no sign of a new queen in either hive. A lot of bees were fanning and there was a strong lemon smell coming from both hives. Wondering what this is...

Any answers?

Thanks.

What are they foraging? Is there one main type of plant?

I have two colonies, both with new queens (one from an old colony on which I did an artificial swarm; the other fromm emergency queen cells from a colony that lost its queen a few weeks ago). Just inspected and no sign of a new queen in either hive. A lot of bees were fanning and there was a strong lemon smell coming from both hives. Wondering what this is...

Any answers?

Thanks.
Maybe the queens were out on a mating flight ,their respective colonies using the Nasanov gland to the scent trail them home ??

John Wilkinson

We had a lot of bees using their gland last week, as we had a sticky job to do and they were not impressed with what we did to their house, and I was being taught to shake bees from a frame. Ours aren't used to that kind of treatment lol, pampered bees. Would you need a lot of bees to be doing it to notice the smell?

I agree with John and Mex, and if you smell pear drops that a totally different ball game.

Sorry but anybody remember the old joke about Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson and a yellow door.....:)

Sorry but anybody remember the old joke about Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson and a yellow door.....:)

Sherlock Holmes turned to Dr. Watson and announced. "The murderer lives in the house with the yellow door." "Good grief Holmes, said Watson. "How on earth did you figure that out?" "It's a lemon-entry, my dear Watson."

When I recently boxed a swarm, I stuck my nose in the box and sniffed. The lemon scent was amazing.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back