Bees in fascia on house

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloth

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. Over the last 6-8 weeks i have noticed a number of bees flying around the front of the drainpipe at the top of the house. At one time there is probably anywhere from 2 to 10 flying around the drainpipe. They rarely seem to go into the house but im sure they do when im not looking...

I found one which had unfortunately died on the floor it was black and furry with a distinctive red back on it.

They do not particularly bother me as they are but my worry would be the swarm gets bigger or the nest and damages the property and they return year on year. My local council (Wakefield West Yorkshire) are not much help and im sure would just send someone to destroy the nest etc.. If it is indeed a nest that would form.

What is my best course of action? Would they move on after the summer?

Many thanks
Matthew

May be tree bumbles*. Found a similar situation here. Owner worried.. now not concerned.
If they are, they will die out in autumn.

* the flying around nest of 6-10 or so are drones hoping to mate with a queen.

Many thanks for the reply, i will just leave them then and see what happens.

Cheers

Sound like masonry bees, they will soon disappear. They are living in holes in the cement work. Or it could just be bees drinking from water stuck in the gutter. When it's hundreds of bees then worry!
E

Could be various things but from the description, definitely not honey bees, so will not keep increasing, and are probably nearing the end of their season.

Could be various things but from the description, definitely not honey bees, so will not keep increasing, and are probably nearing the end of their season.

Probably just Carders, we're getting loads around us (Leices). As posted, they'll go soon enough.

Latest posts

Back