bees in cold/rain behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbabs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Hi Everyone. Complete "Newbee" here but have got my first cast - collected Friday. Made my own Warre hive with ob panel. My question - it is cold here, rain off and on, no sun; the bees are flying in and out busily. What are they doing? Will they forage in these conditions - surely there will be no nectar for them. Or are they doing their cleansing flight stuff? I do have 4 huge lime trees at the back of garden in flower - is that tempting them out?

been raining heavy all day here with wind, an hour ago rain stopped and a bit of sun and the girls were out straight away.

Hi Everyone. Complete "Newbee" here but have got my first cast - collected Friday. Made my own Warre hive with ob panel. My question - it is cold here, rain off and on, no sun; the bees are flying in and out busily. What are they doing? Will they forage in these conditions - surely there will be no nectar for them. Or are they doing their cleansing flight stuff? I do have 4 huge lime trees at the back of garden in flower - is that tempting them out?

5 days ago
Are you feeding them
If not then they are probably desperate so are risking searching in the rain or maybe they are just super bees

I feed swarms after two days in this weather.. They need to produce lots of combs for winter and who knows what the weather will be. As the daily Met oOfice forecast change dramatically over 6 hours....

Latest posts

Back