Bees in a box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedbird

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Good evening all, this is my first post so apologise if this is a regular question, however I don't know where else to begin to get some answers.
Allow me to elaborate, I know nothing about bees, beekeeping or anything other than they are good for my garden in relation to pollination.

I have in my garden a small bird house designed for tits with a hole in the front about the size of a 2p piece. Lately there has been loads and loads of bee activity (i say bees because i checked the pictures on google) with them going in and out all day, there is now visibly through the hole (without getting too close) some sort of "building" taking shape, effectively taking up half of the hole, looking from outside.

So, my questions are, am i in any danger whilst in my garden or should i consider getting this bird house moved, if so where to? and who would i contact to do such a thing, could i for instance cover the hole and put the box in a nearby tree?

What should i do for the best?

Thank you very much in advance for any answers.

Definitely honeybees? Reason I ask is that I imagine a tit box to be quite small. The other question is where it's situated, if it's a quiet corner it should pose no problem. If you will be regularly passing it, I'd advise having it moved. Make 100% sure they are honeybees (I had wasps do the same some years ago) if the 'building' work resembles paper they are wasps.

Do it look like this? :D

4b019eb57c2036ecc6e02e2d5fbd6f16.jpg

This sounds as though you might have Tree Bumblebees... But if you're certain that they're honeybees, you should be OK with them as long as you don't disturb the nest (e.g. by knocking or shaking the box, or strong vibration nearby). If you're worried and they definitely seem to be honey bees, there should be a local Beekeeper's Association contact that can help with removing them, but I wouldn't do that unless you feel you really have to.

If they seem more like bumblebees (fat 'n' fuzzy rather than slim and smooth!) then they probably are Tree Bumblebees, and won't build up a very large colony in any case. They can sting but rarely do, and are most unlikely to cause any problems. They are great garden pollinators, and fun to watch. There's a nice picture of some (in a bird nestbox) here: http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/tree_bee.htm

(great pic of a wasp nest btw! They look so cosy....)

Last edited:
Do the bees look "fuzzy" like a child would draw one, or quite smooth? Bumblebees tend to be quite laid back, and won't use the same nest again.

Do they buzz with a low lumbering noise, or a high pitched one? Higher pitched = honey bees, which tend to be a bit more defesive than bumbles. But bees are funny, so maybe they'll be calm.

Are you sure they are not wasps? I've seen a few wasp nests in an old bird box. Wasps will be bright yellow and black, bees tend to be darker.

That is quite uncanny, the image is the likeness although mine is not quite as big as yours yet.

I will try to photo later and see if i can post it on here.

Thanks

Last edited:
They are most definately not fuzzy they are sleek and smooth, maybe 1 cm long and although yellow and dark stripes they are not vibrant yellow.

As for buzzing, i'm not too sure whether or not i have heard them buzzing either way.

Any help?

So, my questions are, am i in any danger whilst in my garden or should i consider getting this bird house moved, if so where to? and who would i contact to do such a thing, could i for instance cover the hole and put the box in a nearby tree.

Assuming they are honeybees, note that there are a lot of beekeepers who have beehives in their gardens. The bee colony in a bird box is going to be tiny in comparison to a beehive.

There is more to moving bees than you perhaps think. Move the bird box 2 or 3 feet and the bees will find their new home. Move it any further and the bees will not find their new home, get lost, become angry, and become inclined to sting.

A beekeeper will do a proper job of moving them. He/she will close uop the hole when the bees aren't flying and move them out of the district - over 3 miles away.

go to any hardware store and buy a good can of wasp killer, preferably the powder sort and not the foam sort. Give one good squirt in the hole and then back off quickly!!
As described wasps are not the worst thing in the world, they do pollinate and eat nasty grubs and things but later in the year when all the grubs are hatched they start looking for sweet things and will plague you in the garden if you are eating out. I would kill them but the final decision is yours. Careful, if you rile them too much they WILL sting!
E

Latest posts

Back