Bees have all gone - photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be better to wait until the weather warms a little if you are going to try bin-bag fumigating. March or April for me.

Yes, vinegar contains acetic acid but it is too dilute (maybe 10%) and you really need 80% if you are going to try this. Thorn&s sell it, although for collection only which might not suit you. There might be a way to buy it locally - but on the other hand if you are just saving a few frames it may not be worth it.

The NBU are lukewarm on its use but have some useful comments.

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=194

It should be good for Nosema and viruses - possible fairly good for EFB too if you happen to have had any but not a recommended treatment for it. You need to have fairly clean comb though - dead brood sealed in cells are worth removing first.

Last edited:
Thanks Gavin - yes, had to get OA from Maizemore as T'ornes don't post it - will look at the link, too, for info.
No EFB here. Saving that for my next colony, har, har :eek:

Th**nes used to sell OA crystals, don't know about AO solution.(no getting confused with New Year beverage?)

They certainly haven't despatched Acetic acid in the last few years. The reason is that it is VERY CORROSIVE, as are the fumes. So take proper precautions and it is recommended that you don't have your stack of boxes/frames on a concrete floor as the floor will be damaged by the fumes.

Not something that T****'s would want to rupture in the pot $$$.

Last edited:
It pays to look up a chemical supplier. I used to buy it from one on an industrial estate and they stocked it routinely.

PH

QUI PEUT DELIVRER L’ACIDE OXALIQUE ?

Les pharmaciens ou vétérinaires peuvent fournir des produits avec un indice de pureté garanti.
(Pharmacists or veterinarians can provide products with a guaranteed purity index).

Simple, if that's what you want.

Can one of you "experts" tell me how you come to your conclusions from the information provided?

Chris

Everyones worst nightmare, What a shame :willy_nilly:. Don't give up!

I would still analyse for Nosema

Th**nes used to sell OA crystals, don't know about AO solution.(no getting confused with New Year beverage?)

They certainly haven't despatched Acetic acid in the last few years. The reason is that it is VERY CORROSIVE, as are the fumes. So take proper precautions and it is recommended that you don't have your stack of boxes/frames on a concrete floor as the floor will be damaged by the fumes.

Not something that T****'s would want to rupture in the pot $$$.
Quite right.
I wasn't confident mixing up OA solution, and as I only have (had...:( ) one colony, I thought it easier/more accurate to get ready-made.

QUI PEUT DELIVRER L’ACIDE OXALIQUE ?

Les pharmaciens ou vétérinaires peuvent fournir des produits avec un indice de pureté garanti.
(Pharmacists or veterinarians can provide products with a guaranteed purity index).

Simple, if that's what you want.

Can one of you "experts" tell me how you come to your conclusions from the information provided?

Chris
I have OA solution already.
It was Acetic acid I was needing advice about.
Thanks for your condolences, BTW :rolleyes:

Thanks Ely - onwards and upwards as they say...your Avatar looks a bit like me today...
:D

I would still analyse for Nosema

:iagree:, but as OP is planning on new frames not needed. I would go this route...drawn comb is precious but I'd start again. With two colonies.

Reminds me there's still a stack of boxes to sulphur...:rolleyes:

Chin up, Luminos, it's nearly another season.

If there is a positive Nosema then I would destroy frames and we know the cause. If negative I would use the frames and the hot money is definately on 'Varroa and complications'. At the moment it is all gut hunches and no eveidence.

I have OA solution already.
It was Acetic acid I was needing advice about.

Sorry, my mistake, I thouht when you wrote ""yes, had to get OA from Maizemore as T'ornes don't post it"" that you didn't realise you could buy it down the road, (not that I object to buying from the UK, Germany or wherever especially if it's better or cheaper).

Personally I'm not convinced about the varroa and non of the experts so far say how they come to this conclusion from the information posted.

Chris

When the hive die such way as above, there is no reason to become mad and make all kind of researches.

You will have nosema in most of your hives in some stage and you have not afford to destroy your combs and furniture.

nurse living hives better and leave the dead hives rest in peace.

Use that time to make your own frames. So you spare money to some more fun than inspect bee poo.

And you may sterilize nosema combs with ice acetic. Put the frames into plastic bag and there acetic. It needs warm air about 20C.

(Poor Luminous. SLS = Save Luminous' Soul.)

Last edited:
Personally I'm not convinced about the varroa and non of the experts so far say how they come to this conclusion from the information posted.
Chris

Chris
if you read this thread started by Luminos,same subject,but without the pictures, it could be the reason that some have come to the conclusion that varroa and the associated viruses could be the problem,or even nosema ceranae. Plus a few previous posts by Luminos about the varroa situation.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15149

Chris
if you read this thread started by Luminos, etc. etc

OK, read it now but I would still reserve judgement without the "ex colony" being looked at by someone from the DSV, there is a distinct lack of dead bees in or around the hive apparently, even over recent weeks.

Luminos, I think you bought or were given this nuc of bees this year. If that is the case it is again most unlikely that they could be over run with varroa in their first season UNLESS they were already an old colony. If a swarm, the same would apply in the first year, almost zero chance of being over run with varroa.

BTW. I would happily give you some bees in the spring but you are on a different hive type to me.

And - From the other post, Black bees or Abeille Noir is indeed our native bee, I love them, hardy, reasonable yield, can be a bit defensive, so maybe not the best bee if you like playing with them.

http://www.rucherdutilleul.be/abeilles/reconnaitre

Chris

Latest posts

Back