Bees from auctions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5 - 8
OK - sorry if this topic is in the wrong section (I think my last two have been moved :redface:)

Why apart from not knowing their provenance, should one not buy bees from auction? Assuming the prices are right, and you don't catch auction fever, is it really a bad idea? Any worse than a swarm (Although obviously more expensive)

If no reason not too - do you have any tips for all of us newbees? not worthy

I dont think theres anything wrong with buying from auctions, I have done it.

I would ask the seller all the general questions re varroa treatment, specific species or mongrel, year of queen etc.

If you are happy with the answers, tell the seller you will pay him the price but agree with him that you can inspect the bees yourself and should anything be a cause for concern, you have the right to pull out.

Most reputable auctions will ask a very experienced/qualified bee keeper to inspect each colony for sale on the day so at least you should get a reasonable idea of what you are buying beforehand.

If you are not happy with the purchase then contact the seller as soon as possible as well as the auctioneers.

I have bought from auction they were checked by a well known bee inspector and a report on their condition given before the sale.

Hi, which auctions are you talking about as eb#y doesnt allow it. how much are they going for? i bought one from a forum member, which i guess is a better source and they were pretty affordable too

Auction in Gloucester this Saturday.

Bees will have been checked by resident bee inspector prior to the start. Might be worth having a quiet word with him after hes been through them to ask for his recommendation as to which lots to bid on.

the inspector will read out what sort of condition they are in before bidding starts on each nuc/colony if they are good or bad he will say.

the inspector will read out what sort of condition they are in before bidding starts on each nuc/colony if they are good or bad he will say.
:iagree:

Normal ethical rules at any auction are that anyone connected with a sale should not make any comment that is not made in public, i.e. in the catalogue or announced by the auctioneer before the sale. Auctions rely on all interested bidders having the same information when they bid against each other. Anything else risks giving an advantage to one bidder over another which potentially means the final price is lower than it might otherwise be. Apart from reducing the commission, no seller would submit lots under those conditions.

Thank you all for your comments and observations - it seems it may not be the taboo that I somehow originally thought.

For me they would have to be a bargain, as my nuc is slowly improving as the weeks go by, but who knows what bargains may present themselves....:sifone:

From my brief experience of bee auctions, the first few nucs achieved higher prices than later lots. So it may be worth keeping your hands in your pockets to start with.

From my brief experience of bee auctions, the first few nucs achieved higher prices than later lots. So it may be worth keeping your hands in your pockets to start with.

Alternatively bidding close to your maximum as your first bid could scare off other bidders. Worked for me when I bought a full hive + colony several years ago. At the end of the auction I had loads of people come up to me to say I got a bargain as all the 5 frame nucs sold for more than what I paid as people were desperate to buy bees they were paying over £180 when the norm from a supplier at the time was about £115-125.

Last edited:

Agree, i recently bought a new van at the auctions, i new what i wanted and the price i wanted to pay, so just held off and was patient and finaly the ship come in for me. Got a bargain and a gooden. Most of the original bidders had spent their money in the panic at the start and next to no one left when i was still sat there waiting to pounce.

Back