• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bees for Warre

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterflydragon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

I have just purchased 2 new warre hives and I am looking for some bees for the new season as from what I have read it is too late for this year, is it to late even if I was to buy an established hive. I am going to join a local beekeeping club but have yet to hear back from them. Some advice and or help in obtaining bees would be much appreciated. Please bear in mind that I can't pm anyone yet as I am new to site.

:icon_204-2:

stick to the forum til next year like i did this year and got 7 swarms localy .find someone local to you that is a swarm collector.

As above but also find a trustworthy local beekeeper to give you some honeycomb. You can cut it to the size you want and fix it to some top bars place in your hives and leave them out in the spring. There's a good chance a swarm will simply turn up and live in your hive.
This is known as a bait hive. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but when it does the honey seems to taste sweeter.

There are bees available during the winter, sometimes that's when people decide to call it a day. Whether you'd get a Warre complete with bees is,I'd say, unlikely.

But, you could get a bargain, or you could waste your money. You can't really check them over when it's freezing cold.

That said, we bought our first two colonies in January, had to feed them constantly to get them through to Spring and also treat for varroa, but they made it.

Yes you might find bees now but you would need to take them in whatever hive they are already in. No chance of transferring to a new Warre until around April next year.

where are you in kent

Bees for warre

Hi,
Thank you all for your advice.

I just wish I hadn't taken so long reading and making up my mind then I could have been BEE HAPPY by now, so as long as no one throws bees at me looks like I will have to wait for another 6 months for them HO HUM never mind.

If anyone hears of some bees going can they give me a shout please.

All help much appreciated.

Welcome!

Where about in Kent are you?
Which Association are you waiting to hear from?
Have you signed up for an introductory course? / you should!
What books have you been reading?

/ and there is one obvious way to overcome the restrictions of a low post count ... :)

// and just in case you hadn't found it --- http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14770 Start here!

Last edited:
Back