Bees flying and gathering pollen.(Photos)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
This a poly hive sitting on the roof of my shed in a my suburban back garden. Bees were actively flying and bringing in pollen since about 10 am. Temp was 9 degrees Celsius but rising and according to temperatures on the internet, my bees should be in deep winter cluster.

Last edited:
Just goes to show the bees dont do what we expect them to do.

I was surprised when I first saw bees collecting pollen from the winter solstice until Xmas Eve. Not surprised any more. Fairly common, in fact, given that weather conditions are conducive and there is pollen available.

Hi Keith,
Still got some Ivy then? Just noticed some of mine going foraging supposedly. Hope they make it back!

Mine are still out and about too. Still bringing in pollen - presumably ivy.
Good to see as I know they are ok but it doesn't help with knowing what and when to feed, if at all. It's my first beekeeping winter so I've read the books. done the course, researched the forum etc. Expected the colony to be tucked away for the winter so it's helpful to know that mine aren't the only ones refusing to conform.

We had 9 deg and a blue sky, sunny morning. Hundreds of bees flying in and out of my hive, including ones with pollen. Busily removing dead drones. Lots of cappings under the hive. They are a hungry, busy bunch.

How nice :)

This a poly hive sitting on the roof of my shed in a my suburban back garden. Bees were actively flying and bringing in pollen since about 10 am. Temp was 9 degrees Celsius but rising and according to temperatures on the internet, my bees should be in deep winter cluster.

:winner1st:Apis mellifera mellifera..... from the excellent images!:winner1st:

My flippyfloppiebuckiebeesties caught and hived swarmy darlings...have been ensconced and munching through their stores... flying for them is only when the eidelweiss is in bloom !

:winner1st:Apis mellifera mellifera..... from the excellent images!:winner1st:

Yes. Over the years I have been just selectively breeding for bees that are best performers for my area all year round and temperament. I am nearly there now and my wife, now kindly allows me to over winter a few on the roof of the shed.

Latest posts

Back