Bees entering through floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
Argh!

We put the swarm we collected yesterday into a new hive last night. Unfortunately it appears there might be a gap somewhere between the brood box and the floor, as all the bees appear to be entering and exiting out the back of the hive floor, and completely ignoring the nice entrance in the front!

Any suggestions as to how to get the bees entering and exiting through the entrance? We obviously need to lift the brood box and figure out how they can get out through the floor, but is this going to muck them up??

Any suggestions as to how to get the bees facing in the right direction, which is 180 degrees from the direction they're currently entering and exiting through?

think you have put the floor together wrong

Well without stating the obvious and making a joke at your expense I will just say are you sure you have the floor the right way round? The entrance is usually a gap between the floor and BB.

Bees are Bu**ers :) I've had hives where a fair few bees have chosen to enter /exit via the tiniest of slots ! I f floor is ok , entrance clear ,then after flying has ceased a length of gaffer tape will seal the gap :)
There will be some confusion until the bees work out where they should enter but things will sort themselves out :D
VM

Gaffer tape, of course!!! Doh!!

I would have hoped the main entrance would make the better and more obvious entry point, but clearly not!

The floor is definitely on the right way however wasn't the straightest and best constructed floor ever (budget open mesh) and not entirely square, so it is conceivable that there are gaps anywhere within it. We need to sort the floor out whatever we do, which most simply will mean replacing it with a spare and then fixing it.

On my latest hive, I inadvertantly put the OMF in the slot where the Varroa monitoring board was supposed to go - bees were going in via the back as well as the front :rolleyes: until I realised and repositioned it.

if it is put together right there is no way bees can get in apart from the one entrance

If a T***** budget OMF, the mesh often sags down at the back of the hive, creating an entrance. Easily fixed in situ with a few drawing pins , and later on a staple gun

Oddly enough they seem to be actually going right under the floor space rather than straight in the back, so suspect the gap might be elsewhere. Will know more when we go down later!

Now its quieter, I've had a quick look and yes, there is a massive sag at the back where a pin has obviously come out. They're flying under the floor, then crawling back out I think. Will check the door as well to make sure its not blocked, but should be an easy fix I think!

If you have the entrance at the front and a hole somewhere at the back you would expect to see bees at both at the very least defending both they just wont ignore one over the other.

I've pinned the back up and as my wife is home tomorrow, she can make sure they're able to get out the front and sort it out if not.

Thanks for your advice again folks! :D

galvanised staples are the way to go ;)

yep Ive got 3 open mesh t****s floors 2 0f them sagging where drawing pins havent secured properly. Yes I did put them together correctly .On reflection a cr*p idea from T****s to provide drawing pins instead of staples . Fell for that cheap trick

Argh!

We put the swarm we collected yesterday into a new hive last night. Unfortunately it appears there might be a gap somewhere between the brood box and the floor, as all the bees appear to be entering and exiting out the back of the hive floor, and completely ignoring the nice entrance in the front!

Any suggestions as to how to get the bees entering and exiting through the entrance? We obviously need to lift the brood box and figure out how they can get out through the floor, but is this going to muck them up??

Any suggestions as to how to get the bees facing in the right direction, which is 180 degrees from the direction they're currently entering and exiting through?
I think I have the same problem. I have a Thornes WBC hive, and the base came pre-assembled. The mesh in the upper slot sags enough to allow bees to enter the hive quite freely...in fact they seem to prefer this to the main entrance!

I could stop the sag by sliding in a fillet of wood under the edge of the mesh, but it wouldn't be very elegant. Anyone got a better solution?

If mesh is held (or not held!) by the ubiquitous drawing pin then replqace with small wire staples - mush better - first thing I learnt on here :)

It's not held with anything...it just slides in. I've Bodged a fix by raising the mesh with some wooden splints. Seems to be working!

Latest posts

Back