Bees bringing in pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off Work today so nipped over to the paddock to see if the ladies were out , both hive were out and flying around and bring in yellow pollen . it warms the heart .

Having just consulted some of my colour charts, Alder is a prime candidate (as is Christmas rose).

Thanks, I must look in the cattle's field, there are some Alders near the river. They are about 600m from the hives, also have a couple of Christmas roses in the garden but doubt if there is enough flower for the amount of pollen being brought in

Thanks, I must look in the cattle's field, there are some Alders near the river. They are about 600m from the hives, also have a couple of Christmas roses in the garden but doubt if there is enough flower for the amount of pollen being brought in

Hi Thymallus and MikeT,
This is very interesting. Please take a pic for the forum Mike if you find a bee on the Alder with a pollen load. It makes a lot of sense to be Alder in my locale, but nice to have it confirmed.

If you can collect some, from varroa tray etc, I'll happily examine it down my microscope for you. Bag it in some thing small and polythene, 1 pollen press worth would be ideal.
If you manage to get some PM me and I'll send you my address. Although, I may be able to collect some of my own soon, as there is lots of alder close by, but my bees are currently on snowdrops and the crocuses are just beginning to show.
Daffs are nowhere near ready.

I wish bees worked daffs. There are gazillions in the garden, even all over the lawn despite mowing the foliage regularly for the last two years. Horrid things. They belong in the Lake District not in my garden!

Get your local school children to pick them for you on St Davids Day

Attachments

• wales3.jpg
    wales3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 4
I wish bees worked daffs. There are gazillions in the garden, even all over the lawn despite mowing the foliage regularly for the last two years. Horrid things. They belong in the Lake District not in my garden!

I actually buy them for my water jug vase to have on the kitchen table. They are nice and bright and give hope that spring proper is only around the corner. Also, I like to support Cornish and Scottish growers for taking the trouble and hope the super markets let them make some profits!

Last edited:
Hi Brian O. 2014. Very good year for honey, for me 65lbs from two hives. Hope 2015 will be the same or better. Regards. Ianf.

ey! your talking of our national flower!
let's hope the locals don't hear you - I can imagine the torchlit procession approaching your house already! :D:Wales_flag:

Easily found. House is surrounded by fields of yellow.

Get your local school children to pick them for you on St Davids Day

Wouldn't work. Husband would defend them with his trusty air rifle.

I actually buy them for my water jug vase to have on the kitchen table. They are nice and bright and give hope that spring proper is only around the corner. Also, I like to support Cornish and Scottish growers for taking the trouble and hope the super markets let them make some profits!

Maybe I could sell them at the door as Spring Onions :)

Don't get me wrong....flowers are OK especially when not much else is out in the garden. It's just that awful foliage that persists then dies slimily smothering everything else.

Now, now I am trying to set the picture of my 'farmhouse' kitchen for you and stick up for the daffodils. Well, how about giving away 10 daffs with the purchase of a jar of honey. Think how much honey you could shift in Wales!

Not given up water for lent then, JBM?

That's the good thing about being a non-conformist, you don't have to give up anything before, or after Easter!

Although I must admit that I gave up water in my whisky years ago - horrible degenerate habit! (water in the scotch that is - accentuates the fusel oils)

That's the good thing about being a non-conformist, you don't have to give up anything before, or after Easter!

Although I must admit that I gave up water in my whisky years ago - horrible degenerate habit! (water in the scotch that is - accentuates the fusel oils)

On a tour of a distillery in Scotland I was told the distillers added water to the raw output to bring the whisky into sales specification. Their advice was there is no need to add water in the glass as the distillery had done it for you. :)

Latest posts

Back