Eating pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the design of the trap....
The basic ones that you attach to the front of the hive are not designed to be left in place for any length of time.
I use a pollen traps that replaces the floor. Had them made for me by a fellow beek that was just starting out but with more time and woodworking skills than I 🤣🤣
I'd be interested in knowing where you got the design for the floor pollen trap. 😊

Not really warm chocolate sponge topped with some ice cream then a sprinkle of pollen tastes surblime :drool5:
Pollen isn't really something you would eat on its own

The dried pollen you can buy tastes nothing like fresh pollen dropped by a bee. I sometimes pick a few dots up when inspecting and for me the taste is flowery and can be sweet or zingy. Sometimes you can taste the flower it comes from. The stuff in jars smells and tastes bland and earthy.

so's gin, doesn't mean you should do it though. 😁
If you crave the extra protein tuck into a decent steak.
I know, but I'm very biased when it comes to bees and anything they produce im going to rave about just because the bees have provided it :love:
:nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013::nature-smiley-013:

The stuff in jars smells and tastes bland and earthy.
I eat a lot of wet pollen straight from super frames when harvesting honey. Obviously it has bits of honey with it, so is sweeter. However, the lime pollen is really 'zesty' and there is a distinct flowery taste generally through the season. I have often wondered if there would be a market for honey with extracted 'pollen-paties' infused into it. The off putting bit could be the time involved in production though?

Back