Eating pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been bought a jar of pollen for Christmas which I have to admit im excited to try. I don't think it's something I could do as I'd feel too guilty after all the work the bees had done collecting it all. Do any of you fellow beeks sell pollen and if you do what is the process, surely it just can't be picking it up and putting in a jar otherwise there would be all sorts of bits and pieces included? Haven't tried it yet. :nature-smiley-013: :nature-smiley-013: :nature-smiley-013: :nature-smiley-013: 🌷🌻

I don't sell it as yet but I eat it sometimes with a pudding, very interested myself to find out how it's stored and processed etc.
Yes me too. Apparently nice on cereal. It's crunchy whereas pollen in the hive is soft and smooth so there must be a process to get it like that, someone on here must have experience of doing it im sure :unsure:

Yes me too. Apparently nice on cereal. It's crunchy whereas pollen in the hive is soft and smooth so there must be a process to get it like that, someone on here must have experience of doing it im sure :unsure:
You could message John at hedgerow honey he sells pollen?
My pollen that I eat is crunchy I would of thought that reducing any moisture in it would keep it for longer.
I leave mine to dry out, I can't see any other process needed for storing it. It stores ok in sealed jars but I don't have enough and it's never in the cupboard long enough to see if it OK in a few months time.

You could message John at hedgerow honey he sells pollen?
My pollen that I eat is crunchy I would of thought that reducing any moisture in it would keep it for longer.
I leave mine to dry out, I can't see any other process needed for storing it. It stores ok in sealed jars but I don't have enough and it's never in the cupboard long enough to see if it OK in a few months time.
I have been bought a jar of pollen for Christmas which I have to admit im excited to try. I don't think it's something I could do as I'd feel too guilty after all the work the bees had done collecting it all. Do any of you fellow beeks sell pollen and if you do what is the process, surely it just can't be picking it up and putting in a jar otherwise there would be all sorts of bits and pieces included? Haven't tried it yet. :nature-smiley-013: :nature-smiley-013: :nature-smiley-013: :nature-smiley-013: 🌷🌻
I produce a few kilograms per year. Very niche market though. Once collected from the pollen traps which I put on my hives between May and September. It's dried in a warming cabinet.
You end up with all sorts of hive debris in the pollen traps so it then needs to be "cleaned" thanks to a mechanical pollen clarifier that has a fan and sieves it's easier than picking out body parts!
2 or 3 runs through that gives you a good quality batch of pollen. Final part of the process is to put it in the chest freezer for a couple of days. This removes any risk of wax moth or pollen mites ruining your hard work!

I produce a few kilograms per year. Very niche market though. Once collected from the pollen traps which I put on my hives between May and September. It's dried in a warming cabinet.
You end up with all sorts of hive debris in the pollen traps so it then needs to be "cleaned" thanks to a mechanical pollen clarifier that has a fan and sieves it's easier than picking out body parts!
2 or 3 runs through that gives you a good quality batch of pollen. Final part of the process is to put it in the chest freezer for a couple of days. This removes any risk of wax moth or pollen mites ruining your hard work!
Ahhh excellent I know somebody clever on here would have the answer. So if you leave the traps on for several months does that prevent any pollen being taken into the hive and stored by the bees?

Ahhh excellent I know somebody clever on here would have the answer. So if you leave the traps on for several months does that prevent any pollen being taken into the hive and stored by the bees?
Not at all. They are designed to enable the bees to take in enough for their needs and as it also coincides with swarming season drones need access to and from the hive. Not forgetting queens! The pollen traps I use also enable successful queen mating flights.
Some see it as "dark art" robbing their protein source but like most things in life it's a question of balance 👍

It has a texture a bit like tiny nodules of slightly damp flour with the merest hint of sherbert and a slight chewiness. The flavour is flowery but hard to describe. In spring put your inspection board on for a few days and some will drop onto it through the OMF.

It has a texture a bit like tiny nodules of slightly damp flour with the merest hint of sherbert and a slight chewiness. The flavour is flowery but hard to describe. In spring put your inspection board on for a few days and some will drop onto it through the OMF.
Thank you!

You don’t leave them on for more than a few days

Not at all. They are designed to enable the bees to take in enough for their needs and as it also coincides with swarming season drones need access to and from the hive. Not forgetting queens! The pollen traps I use also enable successful queen mating flights.
Some see it as "dark art" robbing their protein source but like most things in life it's a question of balance 👍
Thank you that's really interesting, as you say it's a niche market, how long have you been beekeeping for, and when did you start collecting pollen? Just out of interest

Thank you that's really interesting, as you say it's a niche market, how long have you been beekeeping for, and when did you start collecting pollen? Just out of interest
16 years next year. Started with the one colony and now manage between 30 and 40 through the year.
Pollen trapping it relatively new about the past 3 years or so.

That's what I thought you don't leave them in for weeks and weeks
Depends on the design of the trap....
The basic ones that you attach to the front of the hive are not designed to be left in place for any length of time.
I use a pollen traps that replaces the floor. Had them made for me by a fellow beek that was just starting out but with more time and woodworking skills than I 🤣🤣

I leave them on during the summer. Draw is emptied weekly and I've had no problem with leaving them on colonies that have queens to be mated.
They also help reduce the amount of stored pollen in the first super 👍

Latest posts

Back