Bees bringing in pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine too, bright orange no idea what from, no crocus near here.

Snowdrops.

Dam youre right, i looked at the snowdrops & only seen green & white in the flower, just looked again with my reading glasses on & yes, orange pollen, DOH!
Thanks!

Here in Lancashire mine are also bringing in pollen. Two colours seen so far are bright orange and a milky white colour.
Looking Good!

Snowdrops not quite ready yet here. Small amounts of fawn coloured pollen coming in.
cazza

The whitish pollen is probably Hazel, Catkins are well out now. Im waiting for the willow, buds just breaking

Small amounts of gray pollen this am and then it grew cold and cloudy..:-(

Here is a rough guide to some pollen colours, there are better ones though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

And bees with the pollen loads.

http://beespoke.info/pollen-loads/

A Colour Guide to Pollen Loads of the Honey Bee by William D.J. Kirk is very good. The problem I find with colours on computer screens from web sites is their inaccurate rendering of the colours.
I'm glad someone else has bees working snowdrops, I thought I was mistaken by the colour of the pollen until I saw them flying in and out of the flowers. Snowdrops have an amazing fragrance when you smell them.

For those who are seeing grey pollen loads it it's unlikely to be Hazel pollen as it's a yellowish orange sort.

Mine were silly busy this morning. Egg yolk/saffron colour, likely snowdrops, there's a few out.
Also saw the very first of this year's cherry blossom today.

Almost like Spring!

Mine were silly busy this morning. Egg yolk/saffron colour, likely snowdrops, there's a few out.
Also saw the very first of this year's cherry blossom today.

Almost like Spring!

Snowdrop is more a reddy orange, Egg yolk.saffron is possibly crocus.
Cherry blossom!!!! A different country!!! snowdrops have just come out this last week up here.

Thanks Hivemaker, I really enjoyed the bees with pollen loads. Winter flowering heather here today, but how do you tell the difference between pollen from Snowdrops and Gorse.

All the hazel pollen I've ever collected has been yellowish, the pocket pollen guide gives hazell as yellowish, the colour guide to pollen loads gives hazel as yellowish.
No 57 shades of Grey in sight.

Back