Bees at entrance overnight

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Nicholson

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went to check on the girls last night around 11pm. and found they were 'clogging the entrance (see pic). It was a very warm night 20°C but I have OMF on both my hives. Inspected 2 days ago and colony strong but not overcrowded. Bees very placid - was able to stroke them. I do not have top ventilation open on crown board but felt normal (warm) temperature to touch. Any one had similar - is this normal?
P.View attachment 4088

Hi Pete
Not that I can answer your question as to whether this is normal but you may to give a bit more info for the experts to answer it; What is the hive configuration (single brood, double BB, how many supers), is the monitoring board out, has the colony been split recently or is it still the over-wintered one, I believe that space in a hive is not necessarily how much space do the bees take up but how much space do they have for store and brood so a bit more detail on that may be useful) I am interested to know what the answer is on this.

Personally I am in the “No top ventilation” camp with OMFs. If you top ventilate the bees can’t close it if it gets too cool, they just have to use more energy to keep the hive at the right temperature. But this subject is a can of worms.

It's often called 'bearding' with bees collecting at the bottom of the entrance though I've seen many more bees outside than on this photo.

I think it probably does mean they're hot, sometimes this happens during a varoa treatment.

I personally would not cover the feedholes on the crown board at this time of the year though many would disagree on this. Heat can lead to swarming.

I am in the same situation as you, as I have just changed from WBCs which were far from airtight but had a solid floor, to Poly Dadants which have no top ventilation but an OMF.

During the day the entrance is "normal", ie just bees going in & out.

But at night, they line the entrance exactly like yours, and even crawl out & up the front of the hive, then back in again, I assume to cool off (or have a sneaky fag break).

I am about to fit an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a separate wired probe on my next inspection just so I can check the temperature in the biggest hive - I have to say that the rate of laying and the volume of bees in the poly hives has gone up hugely compared to my old WBCs, so it may simply be that when all the bees are back from flying for the day the heat generated is a little high.

bees at entrance

Hi Guys - thanks for the replies.
Bit more detail - did have colony on double BB then split three weeks ago. Now set up is BB- good BIAS and room for more/ QE/Super-loaded but drawing slowly on foundation/crown board-closed off/Empty super/ Roof - all national.
Monitoring board is out (I only ever use it to 'Monitor' for a day or two max.
Have toyed with the idea of popping probe into hive for temperature check - I have the kit.
Reassuring to know that others have seen this tho I would not go so far as to say bearding. Had real beard last year at entrance almost touching the ground!!- and I'm on a stand.
Cheers.
P.

I guess they just want some fresh air. You are probably finding that the colony is 'forager heavy'. Open them up when the foragers are foraging and they are not overcrowded; different story when the foragers are at home for the night or when it is raining.

Good point MB - hadn't thought of that but if I have so many foragers - why are they not filling my super; having real struggle to get them to draw the foundation and they have had 4L 50:50 syrup and drawn half a frame!! I see them coming in with pollen for the brood but maybe we're in the June gap if it exists down in devon. Lots to learn......
Thanks for the reply
P.

Good point MB - hadn't thought of that but if I have so many foragers - why are they not filling my super; having real struggle to get them to draw the foundation and they have had 4L 50:50 syrup and drawn half a frame!! I see them coming in with pollen for the brood but maybe we're in the June gap if it exists down in devon. Lots to learn......
Thanks for the reply
P.

Not sure about the 'june gap' down here in South Devon as there seems to be plenty in flower especially now the bramble is coming out but very little is being brought in by the bees.

I think it's just too dry and there is very little rain forecast this week.

overflowing nuc?

Hi

I have a nuc holding a swarm I caught from one of my hives.
It is doing very well and I intend to unite into my hive. The little problem preventing this at the moment is that the hive swarmed again and I'm waiting for the new queen to mate.
In the meantime I have lots of bees hanging around the entrance of the nuc when they have stopped foraging.
I am worried that the nuc might swarm as it could be quite full inside.
I could replace a couple of frames with foundation and put the nuc frames in my main hive.
Will this help to keep the nuc from swarming until I can unite?
thanks.
Brian

.." plenty in flower especially now the bramble is coming out but very little is being brought in by the bees."

very noticeable here as I'm right next to a railway embankment covered in blackberry brambles...normally when they're in blossom they fill a super a week!

According to DEFRA it's due to lack of soil moisture leading to lack of nectar

No rain = no water for the plant to make nectar.

I for one not only never open up so called top ventilation, I add insulation.

Heat = swarms? Oh?

Yes swarms will leave at a warm time but is that affected by internal temperatures? I doubt it.

PH

Heat = swarms? Oh?

Yes swarms will leave at a warm time but is that affected by internal temperatures? I doubt it.

PH

PH, How do you add insulation to a poly hive (I have a national from MB) ?

PH

:iagree:

I use no ventilation with added insulation during spring/autumn. i give top ventilation during winter ( I use solid floors, btw)

Hi Peter
I am curious to know if your bees are still doing this? One of my colonies started to do this early this week and when I inspected yesterday I found I had a second queen who is a DLQ who had set up a subcolony at the front of the hive. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11742

Was your colony "normal" when you have inspected it?

Latest posts

Back