Bees and Money

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update: the allergy clinic were friendly and helpful and I've come away feeling much more confident of the (beekeeping) future. Yes I showed an allergic reaction to the bee venom test, and they have taken bloods to check the less visible aspects of the reaction, and I shall start desensitisation treatment in about a month - for up to five years!
The important things I have learnt may be useful for others to know: if you have a reaction always but always call 999 - this goes for the first and all subsequent times. We did the wrong thing :nono: by having my partner drive me to hospital even though it was faster; as soon as a reaction sets in it is better to be horizontal and I did myself no favours sitting up in a car seat for the journey, if we had to travel that way I should have been laying down across the back seat.
Equally if I get stung now I should move away from the bees and lay down, phone 999 and use the Epipen. There may be a 'roller-coaster' reaction then where I appear to get better but then get worse again, so use the second epipen then. Don't get up or go looking for the ambulance however much improved, stay down.
The other thing is the mistake that many beekeepers make if they are allergic and get stung in the course of working the bees, and that is to take their hood or gloves or anything else off. I was told in no uncertain terms that if stung I stay totally gowned-up until the paramedics undress me, and drive the epipen into my thigh through the bee suit.
Beekeeping? Ok but have someone with me or close by, and the phone and the epipen are my first pieces of kit, even before my hive tool.
The other thing to note is that the pre-set dosage in my Epipens is 0.30mg, and they have an expiry date of next June. However the recommended dosage has very recently been increased to 0.50mg and some of us hanging onto existing Epipens might wish to get the prescription renewed at the higher level.
That's it, apart from the five-year stretch of treatment ahead of me. Thank goodness for the NHS, don't let them take it away. :thanks:

Good news. but check with them about the usage of the epi pen. did they say if u get stung every time use it or did they mean when you were having a bad reaction? Just wonder as they will be two very different things.

Also so u know what you will be going through with ur desensitisation make sure you read my Sticky. Sorry its 35 pages long but I ran it for the 3 years of my course of treatment.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21905

I had admin close it so it didn't get even longer but if you want to talk more about it I am more than happy to talk to you about it. And anyone else if they want to but by PM so I get the message please.

Many thanks for your good wishes Erichalfbee and DPearce4. :thanks:
I've read and reread your sticky 'bible', very useful it is too, and it encouraged me to think there was some hope.
No, the message wasn't just to use the epipen blindly, but equally they seemed to assume I would need to and not to wait too long. I knew something was horribly wrong pretty fast the first time I reacted and I gather the reaction tends to get faster so I don't think I shall be waiting around wondering. (BTW it was only one miserable sting I reacted to, not a dozen! Crazy thing is I got a good 15 stings at a friend's apiary four or five years ago and didn't react at all. What is happening to my body?)
Did you get stung again and have to use yours before the desensitisation was complete? If so what did you base your decision on?
:hairpull:

Last edited:
I'm really pleased that the allergy clinic is helping you so quickly and wish you the best with your treatment. Also, thanks for the info on the epipens, our oldest son has a severe nut allergy and has to carry the epipens so I'll get him to check in with the GP; he also wears a medic-alert bracelet which it might be worth you considering to get.

I'm really pleased that the allergy clinic is helping you so quickly and wish you the best with your treatment. Also, thanks for the info on the epipens, our oldest son has a severe nut allergy and has to carry the epipens so I'll get him to check in with the GP; he also wears a medic-alert bracelet which it might be worth you considering to get.

Thank you - I hadn't thought of a medicalert bracelet, brilliant idea, I shall feel a little safer with that. I think my biggest sadness is that I love wandering around the countryside here alone, often way off the beaten track, and I guess for a while that's not going to be a sensible thing to do. At least not according to my family!

Many thanks for your good wishes Erichalfbee and DPearce4. :thanks:
I've read and reread your sticky 'bible', very useful it is too, and it encouraged me to think there was some hope.
No, the message wasn't just to use the epipen blindly, but equally they seemed to assume I would need to and not to wait too long. I knew something was horribly wrong pretty fast the first time I reacted and I gather the reaction tends to get faster so I don't think I shall be waiting around wondering. (BTW it was only one miserable sting I reacted to, not a dozen! Crazy thing is I got a good 15 stings at a friend's apiary four or five years ago and didn't react at all. What is happening to my body?)
Did you get stung again and have to use yours before the desensitisation was complete? If so what did you base your decision on?
:hairpull:

I reacted badly every time I got stung for 8months after I ended up in hospital and needed to use an epi pen once. My worst reaction though was when I was on the desensitisation course, about 5 weeks in when I was enjected with just under 1 stings worth I ended up having to spend the morning with them as I reacted really badly and my bp dropped massively, and some problems breathing. I was given medication while there and was put back 2 weeks on the treatment base.

since I have finished the treatment I have not reacted at all to any stings other than a little pain when stung, I now react more to a mozzie bite than I do a sting. Mind you I still carry my epi pens with me when ever I'm near the bees and if anyone is with me they get told where they are and how to use them before we inspect, I am alone most times but I have this app on my phone as well

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rokk.daat&hl=en_GB

I know I'm not in devon but they will call the local air ambulance if they get a message from someone outside their area.

That's good news that they've acted so quickly HN. Keep us updated with how it goes :)

Thanks for your interest; I have now begun the desensitisation treatment and had my first session this week. I think I went into it a bit gung-ho and wasn't expecting any reaction to speak of. I didn't even feel the injection and was distracted from thinking about my own reactions by the social chat in the waiting area and comparing notes with a lady who had been having wasp desensitisation treatment for the past year.I left the hospital within a couple of hours feeling fine with full lung function (tested) and a list of 'Do not's. No exertion, big meal, hot bath, don't sit in the sun, etc., and the news that I might feel sleepy. Well I came up against the wall two hours later, hot and cold, very sleepy, and I took to bed for an hour. Five hours later I woke up but didn't feel great, a short while later I had an attack of pain and burning needles in my lower legs, especially the right one, and by the following morning recognised it as the same sensations I had when I had shingles a while ago. However within another 24 Hours I felt a lot better and so far the shingles - if it was - has not developed into blisters and is much milder. No local reaction at all to the 'sting'. All I can think is horror at what might have happened had I accidentally been stung again for real, suddenly I've been forced to come out of denial that this really could kill me. I'm dreading the next session now, let's hope the balance between reaction and effective desensitisation is reached quickly. Quite different to your first session, dpearce4, but Im hoping for as good an outcome eventually.

Its good news that you have started the course now. Very unusual reaction I would definitely let the person doing the injections know what happened and good lucky with the rest of it and keep us updated.

Have you been near any bees at all?

The good news from mine is that now if I get stung it hurts for maybe 3 or 4 mins then that's it no swelling or anything. I react now more to a mozzie bite or nettles than a bee sting, I love it. I just need to get over the fear factor and then I could reduce down the gloves and suit.

That is SO encouraging, dpearce4, thank you, I really look forward to the end result and being able to work with bees without gnawing terror! I've always been able to be confident and calm even when there have been bee problems so it's horrid to feel this way. I love my garden and the local countryside and not to be able to wander freely 'just in case' has been very hard for me. Thank you again, not only for the encouragement but for all the info on the sticky which made me see this as a possibility.

That is SO encouraging, dpearce4, thank you, I really look forward to the end result and being able to work with bees without gnawing terror! I've always been able to be confident and calm even when there have been bee problems so it's horrid to feel this way. I love my garden and the local countryside and not to be able to wander freely 'just in case' has been very hard for me. Thank you again, not only for the encouragement but for all the info on the sticky which made me see this as a possibility.

Please, please, please, carry on wandering freely. The chance of you getting stung while out and about is miniscule. As long as you have ur epi pen with you and if your out and about have one of this type of app, the devon air ambulance signal app, others available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rokk.daat

they will even work if your not in their area they then contact your air ambulance if you send the message and it doesn't need a phone signal as its designed to work on places like Dartmoor.

Its a pity that all my posts were deleted. My experience was quite different.

If posts were deleted it was not at my asking. But having seen your posts on this subject it would have offended someone.

That particular thread was run so people could see what they might go through if they went for desensitisation treatment from my point of view not from others. If you would like to make comment about someone else that has gone through it please set you your own thread and not destroy others please.

If posts were deleted it was not at my asking. But having seen your posts on this subject it would have offended someone.

I received an apology from admin about my posts being deleted and that is the only reason I came back. My posts illustrated that things don't always go quite the way they did for you. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to hear that your outcome was positive, but, there is another side to the story which has been removed.

As I said do your own thread then don't ruin others. I dont have issues with what you are trying to say but the way you say it.

Your posts were removed due to the way you expressed yourself not the fact there is another side to the story as you put it.

If its your thread then you can say what you want but when you hijack others who are trying to have discussion and you trash it in the way you post then I have issues. In all the discussions I have had with you about this you have never ever thought that there are positive outcomes. If there wernt then the NHS wouldn't be spending the large amount of money on each person that they put through this treatment. Their own staff say it is 95% successful, yes that is 5% that dont succeed but think of the 95% that then have a much safer life, dont rubbish it.

Last edited:
As I said do your own thread then don't ruin others. I dont have issues with what you are trying to say but the way you say it.

Your posts were removed due to the way you expressed yourself not the fact there is another side to the story as you put it.

If its your thread then you can say what you want but when you hijack others who are trying to have discussion and you trash it in the way you post then I have issues. In all the discussions I have had with you about this you have never ever thought that there are positive outcomes. If there wernt then the NHS wouldn't be spending the large amount of money on each person that they put through this treatment. Their own staff say it is 95% successful, yes that is 5% that dont succeed but think of the 95% that then have a much safer life, dont rubbish it.

Wow. I'm sorry but you have the wrong impression. I am truly happy for anyone who has a positive outcome from desensitisation. I thought the purpose of the thread was to inform people but, if you only wish to portray your story, I wont say anymore.

Please, please, please, carry on wandering freely. The chance of you getting stung while out and about is miniscule. As long as you have ur epi pen with you and if your out and about have one of this type of app, the devon air ambulance signal app, others available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rokk.daat

they will even work if your not in their area they then contact your air ambulance if you send the message and it doesn't need a phone signal as its designed to work on places like Dartmoor.

Many thanks for this and your plea to carry on wandering! I am trying (!) to download the app and it's encouraging to think that there's a way of asking for help even where there's no phone signal. The level of mobile signals here is deplorable which is partly what has put me off. You're right, I've never been stung by a bee when I've been out walking in the past so it would be very unlikely now.

Today has shown how important it is not to jump to conclusions. The hospital were pretty sure that my 'reaction' last week was an unfortunate coincidence and that it wasn't actually to do with the desensitisation treatment. Today I had 10 x the dose I had last week and tonight I am absolutely fine, no response at all, which is a great relief. Chewed to bits by mozzies tonight trying to get a very naughty hen out of the heights of an ivy hedge while she clung on to the top of a 7-foot chain link fence, but at least (so far) I'm not allergic to
mozzies. Will have to cut the ivy back tomorrow, sorry bees.

Latest posts

Back