Beekeeping without a queen excluder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I move hives to outer pastures alone. Hives are sometimes big. 6 boxes and even 70 kg honey allready.

I split the hive to so small that I can load them to sedan carry. Then in destination I pile the hive again. I move them before midday, because it is impossible to handle boxes in the dark or in the evening.

I leave a nuc box to the hive site that it collects free foragers.

I do not know about rape pastures now. Farmers were afraid of necotiois handled rape seeds and gove up that plant. So it seems. I have seen only one rape field 30 km away from me.

Instead of rape I must find good fireweed pastures.

With my TBHs I have no QEs.. The queens regularly cross combs filled with honey - and lay in empty combs further away - often 0.5 meter from the last brood.

Thus proving again that bees cannot read.

I just rearrange the brood nest back again...thus proving that some beekeepers are just interfering old....

With my TBHs I have no QEs.. The queens regularly cross combs filled with honey - and lay in empty combs further away - often 0.5 meter from the last brood.

heh heh. I have never heard that. Too few laying space.
That is why empty combs should be put between honey combs and brood.

heh heh. I have never heard that. Too few laying space.
That is why empty combs should be put between honey combs and brood.

I'd agree, seems rare the queen would travel so far to lay.

I'd stick a new top bar in nearest the entrance or end wall which should ensure its nice and straight and not cross combed and another on the other side of the brood nest as the queen obviously wants to lay more eggs to raise a bigger colony.

I'd agree, seems rare the queen would travel so far to lay..

Bees' instinct is that brood area is compact. It is good too that there are empty combs near brood.

It is same in box tower. I move frames so that brood area is compact. I take honey frames off and put them to rippen upstairs.

Finman,

What would you do if you were looking to go for cut comb rather than extracting the honey would you still not fit a qe? Just put the cut comb super at the top?

Finman,
It would be nice to see some pictures of your hives at this time of the year if you aren't to busy..

Finman,

What would you do if you were looking to go for cut comb rather than extracting the honey

I think that we have not matkets to cut combs. Our honey crystallizes badly and it is not nice to use.

1000 kg cut comb honey? No one never asked not a piece during 45 years.

Finman,
It would be nice to see some pictures of your hives at this time of the year if you aren't to busy..

Busy and busy. I have not learned how to load pictures to some pic bank.

bogatov_nikolay_bee_keeper_1875.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back