When to put queen excluders back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_allotments

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As a new beekeeper, about to start my second season, I'm looking for some advice.

In the autumn, I removed the queen excluders from my hives, and placed the supers below the brood box.

I'm wondering when I should put the queen excluders back, and place super(s) on top of the brood boxes.

Reading the book and the web, they talk about "springtime".... does the forum have any better ideas when to do the first inspection?
I am based on the cambridgeshire/northampton border.

Thanks for your hep with this issue.

Pete

Super when there are 7 frames FULL of brood is a good rule of thumb. If you are not running brood and a half that bottom super can come off anytime you like. It will be empty by now anyway
First inspection when the bees have been active for a while and the weather is set fair. I never bother looking in usually till April but I am in wales. There have been years when I’ve had to look in earlier.

Dani,

Thanks for your reply.
It provides a lot of useful information.

Taking the lower super(s) off the hive - should this be done on fair day, rather than during a series of days at 5C in early afternoon - the expected weather over the new few days.
I'm worried about "freezing" the colony, which is currently doing well - with fondant feeding and crown board insulation.

I assume "the weather is set fair" means the temperature is above 12C in early afternoon, has been for a couple of days, and will be good for the next few days. It looks as if it's "inspect by weather rather than date", which is different to a number of books - just trying to get that part correct!

Once I have the hives on good order, I'm looking to do splits (based on Wally Shaw - WBKA - documents) to increase the colony count this year.

Regards
Pete

I assume "the weather is set fair" means the temperature is above 12C in early afternoon, has been for a couple of days, and will be good for the next few days. It looks as if it's "inspect by weather rather than date", which is different to a number of books - just trying to get that part correct!
Yes. I wait till the bees have been out and about in strength for a while. Foraging and brooding.
Definitely beekeeping is by the weather. The date is a guide.
It’s one reason why we like members to put their location in their profile. There’s a heck of a lot of difference between Scotland and the Isle of Wight.

The queen will lay up the BB first and by the time spring comes she will likely not be down in the nadired super unless the early months Feb/March are really spectacular and she is a strong layer.. It's a judgement thing and one should at least wait until they are foraging well and the weather settled, each year will differ as to when.

I usually do it late February/early March, just wait for a day when the bees are flying freely and go for it, there will probably be a good few bees in the shallow but just prop it against the side of the hive or on the roof with a quarter of the box jutting over the front and give them ten minutes to sort themselves.

What I usually do is get a fresh floor, put it next to the hive, take off the roof, lift the deep and put it onto new floor, remove the old floor and shallow and slide over the new floor and brood in its place - no need to open the hive at all.
The vacated floor can then be quickly brushed clean and used for the next hive.

Last edited:
Is that before or after you scrub it with bleach, scorch it with a blowtorch and boil it in paraffin wax ?
Fortunately I have a brain
A quick bang against the hive stand usually does the trick 😁 or a few seconds with a stiff hand brush (old fashioned scrubbing brush.)

Back