Beekeeping Apps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good shout. I'll have to download an app to keep track ;)

How are you recording it without getting propolis on your phone?

Good shout. I'll have to download an app to keep track ;)

How are you recording it without getting propolis on your phone?

Very carefully?

I was having my faithful assistant beekeeper take photos and then I updated the data when I was done. I did take each frame both sides so I could go back at my leisure in case I missed something. However, at this point it’s just : Did ya see the queen? Was there brood in all stages? Are there supplies being laid in? How’s the new comb coming? I could remember that. It did leave the bottom board in for the first week and no mite drop, 3 ants and capping dust. So I put that down too.

My frustration with the two apps I’ve tried so far is that it’s hard to move or sync the data. I prefer my iPad for working the information but it’s easier to use the phone to take photos. Both apps so far don’t sync well. I gather that Beetight is really meant to be used as a web client rather than a standalone app.

Now, with a lot of hives, this ain’t a real technique as it’s too slow for production. Right now, tho, I have the leisure to do that and learn something with the photos.

Last edited:
My up to date recording app is a sheet of paper clipped onto a metal clip board with a pen attached by a piece of string. Never let me down and I've never lost a pen ..wish I could say the same for hive tools.

My up to date recording app is a sheet of paper clipped onto a metal clip board with a pen attached by a piece of string. Never let me down and I've never lost a pen ..wish I could say the same for hive tools.

Don’t be scared to try new things 😉😉😉

You can’t attach photos to your clipboard as easily. You can’t track data as easily when its handwritten. You can’t graph trends as easily. You can’t share it with a fiend quickly. You can’t help the big picture with big data. For the uninitiated, data can be scary; for those comfortable with it, it’s hard to ignore.

Found this:

https://beekeepclub.com/best-beekeeping-apps/

I have Beetight and BeePlus.

So far:

BeePlus looks and feels great, but I have not been able to synch between iOS devices.

Beetight seems much better on the PC than handheld, so also frustrating.

More if I find the time to test.
Hi Adam,

Anyone tried Hive Tool Mobile?

Apparently it is now free, trialled it and it seems good.

Anyone else have experience?

Hi Adam,

Anyone tried Hive Tool Mobile?

Apparently it is now free, trialled it and it seems good.

Anyone else have experience?

I’ll have a look! Thanks!

I really want to find something so I can suppress the urge to make one myself, which is a deep dark rabbit hole that leads to hell. :reddevil:

I’ll have a look! Thanks!

I really want to find something so I can suppress the urge to make one myself, which is a deep dark rabbit hole that leads to hell. :reddevil:
What's your experience been?

Or are you looking to go down the rabid rabbit hole [emoji57].

I have created an App to help beekeepers find the best time to inspect their beehives or in other locations and it is Free!
It is called InspectNext, and is available on:

IOS: ‎InspectNext
Android: InspectNext - Apps on Google Play

Easily view the Optimal, Viable and Inadvisable inspection times, as well as easy to customize. You are able to specify which exact conditions work for you, then the app will tell you what times are Optimal, Viable or Inadvisable based on your own settings.

This app is free and I pay for all of the hosting and services myself, I am just trying to make an app that will be helpful for the community. So if you run into any troubles, or have any feature suggestions, do not hesitate to contact me at:
[email protected]

I have created an App to help beekeepers find the best time to inspect their beehives or in other locations and it is Free!
It is called InspectNext, and is available on:

IOS: ‎InspectNext
Android: InspectNext - Apps on Google Play

Easily view the Optimal, Viable and Inadvisable inspection times, as well as easy to customize. You are able to specify which exact conditions work for you, then the app will tell you what times are Optimal, Viable or Inadvisable based on your own settings.

This app is free and I pay for all of the hosting and services myself, I am just trying to make an app that will be helpful for the community. So if you run into any troubles, or have any feature suggestions, do not hesitate to contact me at:
[email protected]
just downloaded Q: it only gives London hives are SE16, weather varies, often a lot, across London, I generally use Accuweather as can go directly to full postcode, or am I using the wrong search place tried SE16, Rotherhide and SE London

I've found apps to be a bit fiddly while inspecting. So I'm now creating a spreadsheet in Google sheets. It's based on the bbka record sheets and will have drop down menus in all cells so I can simply tap with a stylus to enter data.
Google sheets auto saves and uploads to my Google drive and I can then use the data to set up graphs etc which will help me monitor things easily and also help selection of breeder queen's.

I've found apps to be a bit fiddly while inspecting. So I'm now creating a spreadsheet in Google sheets. It's based on the bbka record sheets and will have drop down menus in all cells so I can simply tap with a stylus to enter data.
Google sheets auto saves and uploads to my Google drive and I can then use the data to set up graphs etc which will help me monitor things easily and also help selection of breeder queen's.
Interested to see how you go with that.

Eighteen months since the last post on this thread. I would be interested to hear what users are now saying about their experiences, suggestions and recommendations.

There are some online reviews and comparisons of beekeeping apps on the web but they appear to be designed primarily for beekeepers in the emergent colony on the other side fo the Atlantic from the UK. They do things differently there...

https://www.regendus.com/best-beekeeping-apps/https://backyardbeekeeping101.com/best-beekeeping-apps/https://www.ecopeanut.com/best-beekeeping-apps/

Sheet of A4 and a biro under each roof
I've recently switched from app to pen and paper under roof.

But I'm struggling to remember what state each hive is in, and therefore what equipment I need to take on my next visit/inspection. How do you remember when to go back/what state they are in?

I like having the info at home, so I'm on the hunt for another *simple* app. If not, I think I'll have to go the Google form route.

I've recently switched from app to pen and paper under roof.

But I'm struggling to remember what state each hive is in, and therefore what equipment I need to take on my next visit/inspection. How do you remember when to go back/what state they are in?

I like having the info at home, so I'm on the hunt for another *simple* app. If not, I think I'll have to go the Google form route.
take a photo on your phone of your record sheet after each inspection and add it to a spreadsheet or refer to your pic next time before you inspect.

Latest posts

Back