Beekeeper since 1982.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmace1

New Bee
Reaction score
Warwickshire.
At one time had 26 colonies but today just 6 colonies. A retired craft teacher so I make my own WBC hives, frames etc
If you have varoa forget the expensive strips and treat with a spoon of sea salt in 5 litres of syrup.

Last edited:
So what does the sea salt do😂
Kills the varoa. Bees take the syrup, salt expires from the bees, kills the varoa. First heard of this about 15 years ago when in the Pyrenees from a beekeeper. Tried it and since using sea salt I have no sign of any varoa in my hives.

Last edited:
Kills the varoa. Bees take the syrup, salt expires from the bees, kills the varoa. First heard of this when in the Pyrenees from a beekeeper. Tried it and no sign of any varoa in my hives.
You’ve found the cure for varroa, please give us more details. Although in fairness your the 3rd this month.

You’ve found the cure for varroa, please give us more details. Although in fairness your the 3rd this month.
I mentioned this at the bee show at the Agricultural Centre. Mentioned it to the well known supplier of varoa treatment. He asked I keep it quiet otherwise they would loose trade.
I have used salt in syrup for the past 15 years. I did have the varoa mite but since using salt there has been none. So either try it or keep those treatment suppliers in work with their big profits!.
NB... use sea salt and not table salt. One spoon into 5 litres syrup. Mix it boiling hot.

I mentioned this at the bee show at the Agricultural Centre. Mentioned it to the well known supplier of varoa treatment. He asked I keep it quiet otherwise they would loose trade.
I have used salt in syrup for the past 15 years. I did have the varoa mite but since using salt there has been none. So either try it or keep those treatment suppliers in work with their big profits!.
NB... use sea salt and not table salt. One spoon into 5 litres syrup. Mix it boiling hot.
As I said your the 3rd this month does Maldon work better than good old Tesco table salt?

Right, that's me sorted. I'm moving to the coast where the bees can just inhale the sea salt and I won't have to bother buying it (or the sugar to make the syrup).

James
Everyone a sceptic until they realise it rids your hive of varoa. I did find varoa when varoa started all those years ago. Used salt and for the last 15 years and my hives cleared and no varoa. So keep buying the varoa strips ; somebody needs to aid the huge profits to the companies supplying their varoa products.

As I said your the 3rd this month does Maldon work better than good old Tesco table salt?
You are obviously sceptical so keep buying those expensive varoa treatments. I will keep using sea salt. Also suggest you look up the chemical difference between table and sea salt.

When you are at large events and dealing with the general public it often helps to have a sense of humour!!

I'll bite... If I get time this season I'll test it with a swarm if I collect any although won't risk my main colonies. Will sugar roll multiple times before and after. Teaspoon, dessert spoon, table spoon, soup spoon or serving spoon?

I believe the specifically relevant part of that paper is:

"As a lithium-free control and to rule out chloride as an active agent we also tested the alkaline salts sodium chloride (NaCl) and potassium chloride (KCl) and also magnesium chloride (MgCl) at 25 mM. We did not observe a varroacidal effect for NaCl or KCl"

James

To be fair, I have a large sack of salt in the cellar. (It's not a salt cellar, though I did purchase the salt from a salt seller.) I use it for curing bacon, so perhaps it can cure varroa too?

James

You are obviously sceptical so keep buying those expensive varoa treatments. I will keep using sea salt. Also suggest you look up the chemical difference between table and sea salt.
North Sea, Dead Sea, Sargasso Sea or Mediterranean Sea? (Add to list as required)

Latest posts

Back