Beekeeper since 1982.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crystallise? My jams usually don't have crystals...
Buy a jam thermometer. Too cool and jam is runny. Too hot and it sets to a 'sugar mouse'. If you too young you won't know about ' sugared mice'.

LOL when you make jam the contents needs to be increased to 114C ( 14C above boiling point) to crystallise sugar into jam. Jam has a greater sugar content than bee syrup. If jam contains all those ' nasties' then humanity would have died out when jam became a favourite commodity.

That's not how jam-making works. Jam is heated to release the pectin (usually) in the fruit which in the right circumstances forms long chains of molecules to produce a sort of jelly. It's nothing to do with crystallisation.

I'm not sure what you really mean by "all those nasties", but in the case of HMF as far as I recall it's harmful to bees at levels which are not harmful to humans.

James

Sugar content of jam needs to be raised to 114C to make jam. The pectin set the jam. Some fruits need additional pectin which can be purchased from supermarkets. The lot still needs to be raised to 114C to crystallise/ set the sugar.
Bye.

Sugar content of jam needs to be raised to 114C to make jam. The pectin set the jam. Some fruits need additional pectin which can be purchased from supermarkets. The lot still needs to be raised to 114C to crystallise/ set the sugar.
Bye.

It really is nothing to do with crystallising the sugar. Probably could be considered the opposite in fact, as the solution of sugar in the water making up the jam means the water isn't available for bacteria to use to grow.

James

It really is nothing to do with crystallising the sugar. Probably could be considered the opposite in fact, as the solution of sugar in the water making up the jam means the water isn't available for bacteria to use to grow.

James

This might help you.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/
Goto jam making/ temperature etc.

and no further comment will be read.

A pinch of salt has been sufficient for this forum:ROFLMAO:
It's like bear baiting.

Roger Patterson is a far more esteemed beekeeper than most of us but even he will never live down the matchstick episode despite it being torn from context.

The educated reader would enter 'jam' in the web linked search box. Try reading rather than relying upon your cynical responses.

114 °C is closer to 'soft ball' sugar (116°C) than jam (105°C) on my tried and tested jam thermometer.

The educated reader would enter 'jam' in the web linked search box. Try reading rather than relying upon your cynical responses.

This educated reader already did that. And looked at the pages here:

Spiced Blueberry Jam

Best Temperatures for Making Jams and Jellies

But found no evidence of the text "crystal" on either page. And no other web page I've looked at that turns up as a result of a search on "the science of making jam" talks about sugar crystallising either (I tried to stick to websites actually about science, rather than the likes of Facebook).

James

I must say I never considered crystals in my jam. I make a lot. It’s a jelly.
In fact all the jam makers I know try their best to avoid crystalized sugar in their jams. Never seen it in any of mine either - or my chutneys

Jrmace
The concept was thrown to a pack of hungry hounds (I hold my hand up to being one of them ) and was shot down.
That's understandable

You are miffed at the lack of enthusiasm
That's also understandable- perhaps the wrong platform for it.

But your increasingly angry and unaware retorts are just providing entertainment for the pack whilst the more polite folk are either deflecting the subject or just quietly wondering why you persist with flogging the corpse.

You need to just drop it for now and get some actual scientific evidence before returning with it -that from experience.

As cruel as it all may initially appear ,no one wants you dead - just think before tapping the keys.;)

Now, where's that icing sugar......

I have come late to this thread.
Anyone posting a new discovery would normally say where they are located, invite visitors and be open about their discovery and publish pictures, evidence and facts,
We have had a numbers of new posters make claims about varroa hardiness, and native bees and then mysteriously find they are unwilling or unable to produce any evidence,

It reminds me of many scams I have seen in my life. Not saying it is one but ticks all the right boxes.

Right, that's me sorted. I'm moving to the coast where the bees can just inhale the sea salt and I won't have to bother buying it (or the sugar to make the syrup).

James
Well my bees drink water full of salt spray and I still have varroa!

I mentioned this at the bee show at the Agricultural Centre. Mentioned it to the well known supplier of varoa treatment. He asked I keep it quiet otherwise they would loose trade.
I have used salt in syrup for the past 15 years. I did have the varoa mite but since using salt there has been none. So either try it or keep those treatment suppliers in work with their big profits!.
NB... use sea salt and not table salt. One spoon into 5 litres syrup. Mix it boiling hot.
I live right by the sea in West Sussex. All the water the bees drink contains salt spray and my honey has a faint tang (customers liken it to salted caramel!). I still have varroa…..

Latest posts

Back