Bee sting on face

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit like Granny Clampetts cure for the common cold.

aside from taking an antihistamine IMHO just wait for the swelling to peak over the next 36-48 hrs and then another couple of days for it to go down.
No magic cures apart from avoiding stings!

Prevention is better than cure so dig up the lawn and grow a flower meadow, no more moaning hubby

For stings swelling in awkward places, such as the face, the only temporary relief I found was ice. Two bags of peas serve well as ice packs. One on the swelling, one in the freezer cooling.

As for avoiding stings when mowing I have found there are machines some bees react to far more than others. I can't use my electric mower anywhere near some hives, they physically attack the plastic body, several hundred on the cover. On the other hand, the big petrol mower has never provoked them (except when I accidentally hit the stand with it). I know some peoples' bees react to strimmers but again, I use a slower revving four stroke that they seem to be fine with even up to the stands. I think it's the higher frequency vibrations they react to, it might be worth experimenting with what you cut the grass with.

Bee stings are acidic and a bit of bicarb works for me
Wasp stings are alkaline so a bit of vinegar or lemon juice
horsefly bits try vinegar instant relief after the initial stinging sensation of the vinegar

The most important thing is to post a picture lol

For stings swelling in awkward places, such as the face, the only temporary relief I found was ice. Two bags of peas serve well as ice packs. One on the swelling, one in the freezer cooling.

If you freeze washing up liquid it moulds nicely to body part.

Do not use in combination with this threads funniest piece of advice, although it will prevent people asking you about the bee sting...

eg Boots antihistamine cream helps with the skin irritation but he's going to have to be resigned to the facial swelling for the next 3/4 days which ime is inevitable.

.......perhaps you could write "! am a beekeeper" in felt pen on his forehead?

he's lucky to have you

(and remind him of that in the future)

.......perhaps you could write "! am a beekeeper" in felt pen on his forehead?

I had a nasty sting earlier this year but hardly anybody asked me about it at work. They mostly just did double-takes and looked like they were thinking "Oooh, not a black eye, might be nasty, better not ask". A note would have put them at ease:)
All I did was put a super on top of a hive I wasn't going to open before I got suited up.
One of them sat on my eye and got me in the corner just above the tear duct. It was painful, and quite interesting how well stuck in the sting was (my wife had to pull it out with tweezers). It made me wonder if the barb doesn't really engage in every day stings.

Hydrocortisone cream might help. Low dose stuff ?available OTC. In the scouts (60 years ago - could be out of date!) we learnt 'Vinegar for vespas, bicarbonate for bees'.

E45 hydrocortisone is good but you are unlikely to be able to get any late on a Sunday evening. I would say that any damage done will have taken effect by now.
Shame he has to suit up to cut grass, maybe look at screening bees or trying something else?
Hope he's okay?
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

"I say Carson, have been fighting downstairs?"

"No milord, I was stung by a bee while tending your Lordship's beehives....."

If the itching gets bad return to the hot flannel. This doesn't stop the swelling though, just the itch. Ice is rubbish on me as are all other creams and potions!

Try an Aspivenin. They always seen to work for me but the key is to use it as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back