Bee races/strains

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello All Im looking to return to beekeeping after a long absence 35years! Im looking for opinions/advice on bee races/strains and their behaviour and characteristics. Im looking for a good all rounder honey prodution, temper, swarming etc. I would like to do something British or AMM however Ive been told these dont like the mower going past twice a week! Of course there is plenty of material to material to read on the internet, however it would be nice to hear what members on this forum have to say before I take the plunge! not worthy

Thanks BKP Ive have had a trawl around the forum, read a little etc however this is no substitute for individuals ideas and thoughts. Thanks!

From what I can tell buckfast are great provided you are willing to requeen and keep the lineage pure. Queens mated out with locals can result in some nasty offspring.

A lot of people are using italian bees at the moment it seems, they don't like the wind, and will rear broad late if you leave honey on, but have a good start up and are excellent comb builders (if you are going frameless). They are a bunch of robbers though so careful with multiple hives during dearth.

Welsh bee very good for the British climate and active earlier and later, they are also fairly frugal during the winter so require less stores. They don't produce quite so much honeys though.

I am all for trapping whatever you have about in your area though. Whatever bee strain or local mongrel is being successful at surviving and multiplying in you local conditions.

Back