Mycelium and "MycoHoney"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
I wondered what some of the board's learned think of Paul Stamets' MycoHoney concept?

First- This post refers to research activity from 2014. I searched on the Forum and could not find any activity about the following subjects.

Second, our hero Stamets is a bit of an "out there" thinker and his writing reflects this (his Ted Talk is worth watching to give you a visual to what I am referring to.) But he is a visionary who likes to back up what he says with empirical data. That said, there are a few references in his article posted below where he makes (what looks like) assumptions based on some research which may not have stood a test of full-peer-scrutiny. He is ultimately challenging CCD, which is a good thing. I, for one, would be interested in your views, particularly given the 5 or so years that have elapsed since this was published.

The Stamets article is quite long and could take a while to trawl through (as I said he is a colourful and expansive character) but its worth the slog at least.

Ive read it twice and decided I needed (some less elaborate) background on mycorrhiza so I read a decent, much shorter, article on the BBC 'Earth' site about the phenomenon. I have posted that first below and invite you to read that first...Hope to hear some feedback.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20141111-plants-have-a-hidden-internet

And here is the Stamets article:

https://bioneers.org/solutions-underfoot-zmaz2001/

The fact that various fungi have beneficial antibacterial and antiviral qualities amongst others is not new. I can recall that the Japanese and Russians both did/had research going on way back and like honey, fungus figures in most medicinal folklore.
Joining up the dots against a background of fierce traditionalism/conservatism in a cogent compelling way is bound to ruffle feathers. After all who is going to pay money for a fungi bearing rotting log – that is to say there is no money for fat cats to make, fungus is free.

Reactions: mbc
Fungi are critical for healthy soil
From what I understand long story short is together with healthy bacteria they brake down and prerp organic matter to be absorbed by plants
In beans and such they capture atmospheric nitrogen
Read about no till and shallow till farming
It's a lot of hippie new age mumbo jumbo but there are few good nuggets of research

Well I’m glad he’s doing something about it.

He’s now using those restorative properties to save the bees from extinction.

Bee populations are declining as they face viruses precipitated by climate change

Bee populations are declining as they face viruses precipitated by climate change

Habitat loss? Breeding species that won't survive in wild? Nah mate, its climate change, simple as.
I hate this narrative that reduces everything to climate change like nothing else has impact on anything.
World is simple, you have to start eating bugs and paying carbon tax or bees die out.

You mean you or article?
I'm just ranting, heard too many sermons from church of st greta recently
Usually from people that can't tell juniper from pine tree

You mean you or article?
I'm just ranting, heard too many sermons from church of st greta recently
Usually from people that can't tell juniper from pine tree

Countered by all the Naiomy nonsense no doubt... bet she's a fun guy to bee with !!

Well I’m glad he’s doing something about it.

He’s now using those restorative properties to save the bees from extinction.

Bearing in mind that honey bees have been around for over 60 million years, during which time they saw off the dinosaurs and survived more ice ages than I've had hot dinners, it is rather presumptuous to say that humans are saving honey bees from extinction.

Whatever the long term effects there's far less chance of humans surviving climate change than honey bees (or cockroaches, earwigs, ants, spiders etc. for that matter)

God bless 'em.

• Love
Reactions: mbc
The fact that various fungi have beneficial antibacterial and antiviral qualities amongst others is not new. I can recall that the Japanese and Russians both did/had research going on way back and like honey, fungus figures in most medicinal folklore.

Like penicillin?

I just read this old post and am curious to know whether anyone has managed to ever get some of this Mycohoney to try out? I can't find anywhere to buy it, does anyone have any ideas on where to find it?

Chaga here, grows on birch trees of which we have many. That said, I am seriously skeptical of anything that proposes to cure a multiple of ills that do not have anything in common. When they throw in' anti oxidant', 'boosting the immune system', and 'viral inhibition' my eyes roll and my spidey senses start tingling.

Our birch stand draws trespassers armed with hatchets ( or axes) that hack trees willy nilly in their quest for the chaga which brings a premium price. IMHO it is another health fad.

Latest posts

Back