Bee lore and customs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milfoil

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Do you have any old or interesting customs in your area. This is a topic which fascinates me and I would love to collect (here for everyone to enjoy) any beliefs, customs and lore surrounding bees which you may have come across.

There are one or two books which are highly detailed (The sacred Bee in Ancient Times - Hilda M Ransome etc) but from the horses mouth or even your own, personal family customs would be lovely to hear about.

:)

I remember being told about 'telling the bees' when there was a significant event in the family, esp a death but from my own experience, that's about it really.

I did read something once that says if a beekeeper dies and a new beek takes over the hive, he/she is meant to go and tell the bees about the death.

A while back I read a book called 'The Shamanic Way of the Bee' by Simon Buxton, has anyone read that?

This may sound like an odd question but has anyone had any 'odd' experiences or strange coincidences with bees? Dreams which stand out etc? Certainly on the Continent (my parents live in Slovenia) there is an almost spiritual tradition surrounding some beekeepers, their methods and their apprentices.

Certainly on the Continent (my parents live in Slovenia) there is an almost spiritual tradition surrounding some beekeepers, their methods and their apprentices.

What smoker fuel are they using?

I have no idea but I may be able to find out.

OK...here are a few:

A bee landing on someone's hand is believed to foretell money to come, while if the bee settles on someone's head it means that person will rise to greatness.

(So why aren't us beekeepers millionaire celebs? Maybe 'next life' as they say in India :coolgleamA:)

Bees were once considered to deliberately sting those who swore in front of them, and also to attack an adulterer or unchaste person (Oh you naughty beekeepers...)

And finally...it was once held to be a sure sign that a girl was a virgin if she could walk through a swarm of bees without being stung. Any volunteers?:willy_nilly:

(So why aren't us beekeepers millionaire celebs? Maybe 'next life' as they say in India :coolgleamA:)

Bees were once considered to deliberately sting those who swore in front of them, and also to attack an adulterer or unchaste person (Oh you naughty beekeepers...)

I always swear when they sting me - whether I'm in the act of being unchaste or not! :biggrinjester:

And finally...it was once held to be a sure sign that a girl was a virgin if she could walk through a swarm of bees without being stung. Any volunteers?:willy_nilly:

Jeeze, that went out of the window decades ago for me . . .

I've just dug "Folklore Myths and Legends of Britain" out of my bookcase.
I hope I'm not infringing copyright by reproducing it here....

"...It is also claimed that bees are intelligent, peaceable creatures, and should be treated as such. This possibly explains the belief that bees respond to different tones of the human voice and will not stay with a bad-tempered owner. From this stems the injunction that 'you must never swear in the hearing of your bees' "

and...

"Since ancient times, when bees were regarded as messengers of the gods, people have whispered family news to the hive. If this is not done, the bees will fly away".

and, best of all...

"Where bees were kept, it was customary to inform them of any death in the family. If this was not done the bees would die or fly away. The owner's heir, or sometimes his widow, went to the hives, knocked three times upon each one with an iron door-key, and told the bees within that their master had gone. If any other member of the household had died, the news was conveyed by the head of the family. Black crepe was tied to the hives to show that their inmates were in mourning...".

In Pagan customs/term the bee is up there with the stag, boar, spider and many others. Its huge in terms of spiritual significance. If your interested google this "honey bee" +totem animal. That will bring back loads of mythology and references to working in a communal harmonious way with others if you feel the bee is part of your make up. In the same way some people are drawn to horses and others dogs, others are drawn to bees. There is a massive connection with bees to paganism and witchcraft. Exploited by films like the Wickerman (Sister Summers Isle - shudders) in the new version at least.

Poppets - a type of voo doo doll used by European witches and now world wide were made from wax. Some were also made from sticks, grass and whatever they could get their hands on. The nature of the poppet depended on what material you used. If someone was ill and you wanted to make the illness go away you would use something that deteriorates with time and exposure to the elements. As it disintegrates so the illness diminishes. However if you wanted to do something that would last and go on for a long time, wax was the ideal natural substance. Waterproof and malleable it could be fashioned into a ready likeness and things like the persons hair added into it easily.

Honey was and still is used to help prevent infection on wounds. So bees were considered saviours of the afflicted. It is also a massive source of sugar so it was held in very high regard.

There is literally hours of reading about just the honey bee and how the human race revered it.

I know my city, Manchester, has a long history with bees. They are on the coat of arms, inlaid in the wood in the town hall, and the mosaic flooring. All the bollards in Manchester have the emblem of a bee on them too. I tried to find out why, but then life got in the way lol

I know my city, Manchester, has a long history with bees. They are on the coat of arms, inlaid in the wood in the town hall, and the mosaic flooring. All the bollards in Manchester have the emblem of a bee on them too. I tried to find out why, but then life got in the way lol

Worth googling, Kaz?

Yes, I did, but I'm a rubbish searcher lol. Couldn't find anything that explained it outright. All I found was references to bees in documents etc. I might have another crack at it :)

Now I've been reminded lol

Its a symbol of Manchester's industrious past being hard working and expansive the same as the honey bee. However there are those that link it with the illuminate as well.

Latest posts

Back