How many hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where or how will you learn, Bron?
Hi Eric, well I have joined my local bee keeping club. Obviously with covid I haven't been to a meeting yet. But when it's possible hopefully I will get to view other people hives get some hands on experience. and do some courses I've chatted with a couple of members and they seem really lovely and helpful. In the meantime I will read some books, read this forum and eventually take the plunge, which I suspect is when the real learning happens :ROFLMAO:

Hi Eric, well I have joined my local bee keeping club. Obviously with covid I haven't been to a meeting yet. But when it's possible hopefully I will get to view other people hives get some hands on experience. and do some courses I've chatted with a couple of members and they seem really lovely and helpful. In the meantime I will read some books, read this forum and eventually take the plunge, which I suspect is when the real learning happens :ROFLMAO:
If you plan on starting reasonably soon it could be worth your while going to the BBKA Convention at Newport, Shropshire (Google for it). Stuff for sale and talks by experts but you may need to book.

Don't overlook Youtube (though do bee careful, there's a lot of crap on there)
Black Mountain Honey
Norfolk Honey Company
BIBBA
Those should keep you busy for a while!
Thank you for these links. The web and youtube can be a mine of misinformation and you have just saved me hours of trawling, which is much appreciated.
I've just watched Roger Pattersons Beekeeping what's it all about vid and his line about " will you get stung, if you swim you get wet" is utterly brilliant!!! :ROFLMAO:

If you plan on starting reasonably soon it could be worth your while going to the BBKA Convention at Newport, Shropshire (Google for it). Stuff for sale and talks by experts but you may need to book.
TBH I doubt I will be actually purchasing bees this year. I plan to spend it learning as much as possible and I really want to gain plenty of hands on experience if possible first, but thanks for letting me know about the Convention :)

TBH I doubt I will be actually purchasing bees this year. I plan to spend it learning as much as possible and I really want to gain plenty of hands on experience if possible first, but thanks for letting me know about the Convention :)
Very wise decision, Bron. Find yourself a mentor, someone who may appreciate an off of help as you learn.

Very wise decision, Bron. Find yourself a mentor, someone who may appreciate an off of help as you learn.
That's what I am hoping for eventually. A mentor I can initially learn from, help them out with their bees and when I get mine be there for advice etc

Hi, I am new to this forum and as yet do not have any bees. I am trying to learn as much as possible before I embark on this fascinating hobby. My grandfather kept bees when I was a very young child so I cant say I learnt a lot from him. But I do remember that he really loved them and I would hang around whilst he was tending to them. I didn't wear a suit or any protection!! Yet I only ever got stung once, on my thumb and that was my fault for trying to pick up a bee :ROFLMAO:
I am at present laying out a fruit and veg garden which in total will be 20mx30m and earmarking a 3m x 10m area for the bees. I have stone walls with hawthorn hedge above to shelter them on the south and west sides. I am planning to keep my compost bins at one end up against the barn wall and the rest is for the bees. There will be lots of fruit and cherry trees and bushes plus bulbs and perennials through out the area. It is surrounded by fields and about 300m from my house where I have 2 large ponds.
Does this sound like a feasible area to eventually house a hive or two?
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice :)
Sounds lovely, just one thing, dont have compost bins and bees too close to eachother, bees dont appreciate the smell and can become defensive and attack when you turn your compost, just as they can ping you if you are digging your vegetable patch and get a bit sweaty. I learned this from experience with otherwise gentle bees.

Sounds lovely, just one thing, dont have compost bins and bees too close to eachother, bees dont appreciate the smell and can become defensive and attack when you turn your compost, just as they can ping you if you are digging your vegetable patch and get a bit sweaty. I learned this from experience with otherwise gentle bees.
This was part of my point when I recommended not having them in the garden.
The romance of having them where you can see them isn't really a perfect setting even if the siting is perfect.

I disagree ….and you didn’t say anything about the compost bins.
Having bees in the garden is a wonderful thing if you have no neighbours. I know a few commercial beekeepers who still like to keep bees where they can see them. So it’s not just us hobbyists

it could be worth your while going to the BBKA Convention at Newport, Shropshire
better off going to the WBKA convention at Llanelwedd near Llanfair ym Muallt (AKA Builth Wells) in Powys

Having bees in the garden is a wonderful thing if you have no neighbours. I know a few commercial beekeepers who still like to keep bees where they can see them. So it’s not just us hobbyists
:iagree: and what has compost bins got to do with the price of coal? at the garden apiary, the mating nuc entrances and two pairs of hives are within feet of and facing two compost heaps, the bees actually have to fly over the heaps to get anywhere

Aye it is I'm not denying that, BUT how practical is it? Even without neibours.
I have three apiarys with hives on the edge of gardens well away from where you would be working or property this situation sitting works.
I also no BFs that keep there best hives near by, one even has them out side his front door he has no neighbours for miles.
I also keep some of mine metres from my garden but they are far enough away to watch when I want but don't interfer with me gardening.
Just to highlight I wasnt saying anything about compost bins that was Dutchman, but I completely agree with what he is saying perhaps more so about being in the garden and working sweeting.

QUOTE from dutchman
just as they can ping you if you are digging your vegetable patch and get a bit sweaty. I learned this from experience with otherwise gentle bees.

Forget about having neibours for a minute.

The amount of times I've read on here of folk having issues with garden hives.

The amount of times I've read on here of folk having issues with garden hives.
Not often and you’ve just said you have them metres from your garden.
Don’t put the chap off. He has made excellent plans which he has asked us to tweak. He has room to move them if needed. It would be a great shame if he had to miss out on the joy and excitement of his first bees

That's what I am hoping for eventually. A mentor I can initially learn from, help them out with their bees and when I get mine be there for advice etc
The ideal scenario would be working with and learning from your mentor, who makes sure you have a colony of your own to take into winter.
Good luck, I hope it works out.

better off going to the WBKA convention at Llanelwedd near Llanfair ym Muallt (AKA Builth Wells) in Powys
Haven't got a passport for Wales!! And don't intend to ever get one either. Too many sheep over there that nobody owns until one knocks one over.:):)

Latest posts

Back