bee keeping essentials - any ideas!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah - a Series 1 land rover is the most beautiful - especially the 1948/9 80" ;)

Try getting one resprayed over there though Teemore. I've heard its almost impossible. And any landrover is the best ever really innit. I cant remember the statistic but its something like 70% (maybe higher) of all landys made are still on the road today. Course they are big ole lumps. It may well be that if a lump falls off one onto the road its still classed as on the road lol. And come this winter (whenever thats going to be) it will be about the only bloomin thing that can get us to work. Saw a beautiful shiny animal Mitsubishi L200 saunter past in the snow last year. Very smug with lots of extra lights. Saw the same truck a week later in the snow. And wow was its side all folded in and up and around. V P'd off looking driver.

Round these parts, you'd get street cred. with an old Disco. You might even get it with a new one as long as it was filthy and with bits of straw all over the place.

Well qualified on the filthy score, no straw, the odd dead bee, spent cartridges, bits of brass, old shoes and no working radio.
I'm always interested to 'read' people from the detritus in their cars. No detritus, nothing much in common with them. ;)

Btw also old and once written off but still roadworthy, taxed and insured.

Storm™;192092 said:
Try getting one resprayed over there though Teemore. I've heard its almost impossible.
I'm rebuilding the S1 88" shown as my avatar - still have to strip down and paint the hard top but everything else is nearly complete. So far I carried out all of the spraying myself. Can't have done too bad a job as I've had a couple of people ask if I would paint cars &/or vintage tractors for them!! There are a couple of local painters who do a lot of work on lorries and vintage tractors etc. and they aren't the worst to pay.

Next job (aside from making supers for next year) is to replace the bulkhead and clutch in a 90 TD I picked up a wee while ago (with the intention of using to move beehives!) and then... start to work on my '49 80"

I'd really like one of these, so...

Please tell me all the reasons why I need one (could also help the OP)

I already have a knock-about national I can use for artificial swarm and a spare brood box, so what's my excuse

? :Angel_anim:

Nucs are a good, if not essential bit of kit:
  • Swarm collection
  • Breeding
  • Run out of other kit
  • Introducing queens
  • Splitting
  • Merging

and probably loads more reasons.

Some of those you could do with your spare national, but what if you've just used it for something else - half way through an AS and a nice swarm appears at your door?

Poly Nucs provide a little more insulation to a small colony of bees and this really helps them get a good start before you transfer them into a full brood box. I was able to compare timber, ply and poly nucs in use this past summer and my perception is that the bees in the poly nucs get a better start.

Well qualified . . . Btw also old and once written off but still roadworthy, taxed and insured.

Don't put yourself down so HN, I'm sure that you are still much loved . . . :)
= = =
You can never have enough hive tools, as they always manage to hide.

How about a turbo barbecue lighter - about the same size as your gas powered candle lighters but with a mini blowtorch flame (easy to put right in to your smoker for lighting - less than a tenner including postage usually)

Just give him a framed photograph of his nearest and dearest, to remind him what he is missing or getting away from.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

think i'm going to have to read up on nuc boxes - when i've seen beeks with those little polystyrene boxes i just thought they were for keeping your beer cold!
:party-smiley-050::party::cheers2:

"when i've seen beeks with those little polystyrene boxes i just thought they were for keeping your beer cold!"

they are actually perfect size to transport 6-8 x 500ml bottles of cider!

Back