Bee Inspector Visit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a visit from the Seasonal Bee Inspector for the area today - I just want to say it was thoroughly positive and helpful.

I've had a couple of inspections over the years which have all passed off ok with a clean bill of health, but today's inspector really took the opportunity to share ideas and make suggestions ( in a non-pushy manner) about hive management and swarm control - encouraging me to think about clipping my queens whch I've never been brave enough to try (-I will start practicing on the poor old drones) - pointing out the problems of too many swarms in built up areas, which is absolutely true, and a quick reminder about how to spot Small Hive Beetle when it comes. And he also found a newly hatched queen for me.

Recently I have encountered some wellmeaning "below the radar" beekeepers who are not registered with Beebase but who would really benefit from the advice a Bee Inspector gives. The inspectors do a great job.

Welcome your Inspector if he/she calls!

Mel

I had a visit from the Seasonal Bee Inspector for the area today - I just want to say it was thoroughly positive and helpful.

I've had a couple of inspections over the years which have all passed off ok with a clean bill of health, but today's inspector really took the opportunity to share ideas and make suggestions ( in a non-pushy manner) about hive management and swarm control - encouraging me to think about clipping my queens whch I've never been brave enough to try (-I will start practicing on the poor old drones) - pointing out the problems of too many swarms in built up areas, which is absolutely true, and a quick reminder about how to spot Small Hive Beetle when it comes. And he also found a newly hatched queen for me.

Recently I have encountered some wellmeaning "below the radar" beekeepers who are not registered with Beebase but who would really benefit from the advice a Bee Inspector gives. The inspectors do a great job.

Welcome your Inspector if he/she calls!

Mel
how many years between inspections?

Can't quite remember - must be three or four. Should have kept a note.

It is surprising how many Local Assc. members automatically assume they are registered due to joining the association. Shame details of membership cannot be passed to the NBU.

Colin

It is surprising how many Local Assc. members automatically assume they are registered due to joining the association. Shame details of membership cannot be passed to the NBU.

Colin

Some Queen suppliers do.. It's in their T&Cs..

The Seasonal Bee Inspector (now Regional Bee Inspector) who carried out my AFB visits , flamed hives etc and then finally declared me clear was very pleasant and helpful. Lots of useful tips...

Doesn't the Data Protection Act prevent this?

We request that all buyers of bees and queens register their colonies with Beebase the National Bee Unit website. It is designed for beekeepers and also supports Defra, WAG and Scotland's Bee Health Programmes along with the Healthy Bees Plan, all of which help to protect and sustain our valuable national bee stocks. There are no costs involved with registering with Beebase, instead it gives you, the beekeeper, the security to know that should a bee health problem arise in your area, your local bee inspector will notify you about it, and if necessary come and inspect your colonies, free of charge.

By buying your bees and queens from us you are giving us permission to pass your details on the NBU if they request this information from us. If you don't give us permission to pass you details onto them in the event they request them then please let us know at the time of ordering.

http://www.beckysbeesonlineshop.co.uk/2015-mated-ligustica-queens-33-2880-p.asp

Turns out it was 6 years ago. How time flies. Also interesting on Beebase is they give the number of apiaries in a 10 km radius. 520!

I'd take those beebase numbers with a very large pinch of salt because it's not compulsory -
they err on the downside due to not every beekeeper having registered, many beeks know others who are not on there,
and they can err on the upside because I would expect that many who give up beekeeping don't bother to remove their apiaries from the database.

Turns out it was 6 years ago. How time flies. Also interesting on Beebase is they give the number of apiaries in a 10 km radius. 520!

So it will be another 2 years before the first one for us then :)
The sister in law's hives got inspected inside of a fortnight of the bees arriving!

What is the general consensus about beebase? How many on this forum are registered?

Beebase? Yes.
I think it's irresponsible not to, my personal view is that to enable effective disease control by the Bee Inspectors it ought to be mandatory.

There seems to be a fear that registering will mean that if there's an outbreak then you'll automatically get your colony/apiary destroyed. Not so.
The reality is if you don't register your hives are more likely to become an unwitting casualty of an outbreak through you not being made aware of prevalent diseases, and the Bee Inspectors not being aware of your apiaries, so being less able to check for the spread of an incident, and then apply preventative, containing and curing measures.
Hiding head in the sand never cured anything.

I have registered(when I started) and get warnings about local AFB..

There is at least one local apiary which has not registered. It had 4 hives thriving last year .. and now after an AFB outbreak has none. (May just be a coincidence of course). I directed the Bee Inspector there on Tuesday.. she will never tell me the outcome due to confidentiality rules...

As I try to look after my bees , I consider warnings about disease essential for responsible beekeeping. And those who don't register I therefore consider as irresponsible - by definition.

And I will not apologise to anyone offended...

As I try to look after my bees , I consider warnings about disease essential for responsible beekeeping. And those who don't register I therefore consider as irresponsible - by definition.

:iagree: :iagree:

Presumably there is the argument of ignorance? :judge:
I only recall being told about Beebase once, and that was during my initial evening training course, before I had bees!:facts:

It also took a bit of finding, as a search on BEEBASE.ORG (My notes weren't good enough obviously) throws up a plausible, but completely unrelated website.... I do however note they've moved up the search rankings since then.......

I am registered, but after 4 years, no offer, or insistence of, an inspection yet . Like you, I like to think I'm looking after my bees, but The SBI's/RBI's have a huge area to cover. Rest assured, if I ever do get a visit, they'll be more than welcome.

The source of any local disease problems is likely to be from beekeepers who do not belong to an association or use forums, either because they have been banned or they already know everything.
I would prefer that registration remains voluntary but I guess if we had a big outbreak of something nasty it could become compulsory to register.
We have always registered and updated our details and the two visits from inspectors have been very helpful for us. They have also contributed to disease recognition training events for our local association.

The source of any local disease problems is likely to be from beekeepers who do not belong to an association or use forums, either because they have been banned or they already know everything.

I'm sorry but I'm struggling to understand your logic here. Disease outbreaks occur. Some are down to bee movements from infected apiaries to uninfected apiaries. There is anecdotal (or maybe proven?) evidence that some outbreaks occur near to importers of foreign honey. Some are just undetected due to inexperience of beekeeeper and then spread to where they are recognized. Hence the outbreaks.

Latest posts

Back