Bees making a liar of me again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I inspected a couple of colonies this afternoon. One gave me cause for thought & concern - see my other thread today.
The second was a smallish colony on about 7 national frames, the result of an artificial swarm (Pagden) a while ago. Nice marked blue queen seen today, laying size, eggs and BIAS, expanding ok, it was a fairly brief inspection as I wasn't expecting problems (1st mistake!), Nice brood pattern, lovely frames of sealed brood, no queen cells seen. I finished up wrote up my notes - last line "no QCs".
The hives are in my garden and I was sitting outside about 2hrs later when a swarm issued and settled in a neighbour's tree about 30' up. (empty house I've previously had permission to go into the garden of if needed).
I've collected the swarm (ladder and a bit of a performance), and it's on the floor collecting the stragglers before I bring it back and give it frames.
Having collected it I went through the swarmed hive again. Really thoroughly this time. I found a single sealed queen cell at the inside corner of a frame, and about 6 un-charged queen cups.
Obviously I've kept the sealed cell.
I can only presume this was a supercedure attempt (single cell) which then provoked a swarm.
Any other ideas? A single cell seems odd!

hard to tell because by the time you get to open it up (unless you see the swarm leave) the hive is full of EQCs
Saw mine leave, opened it less than an hour later - just one cell after a VERY careful search!
I'll open it tomorrow - it will be interesting to see if any/many eqc's!

Latest posts

Back