Bee identification help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggymoose

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all, we've recently put up a bee house and have started to get a load of yellow bees move in, make nests and plug the hole with mud, yet after searching on Google we cannot track downeexactly which one it is, we are going to try and get some better pictures but in the meantime, can anyone recognise it from this pic?

Edit - I cannot add links yet, is there any way of adding a link to the picture?

Hello all, we've recently put up a bee house and have started to get a load of yellow bees move in, make nests and plug the hole with mud, yet after searching on Google we cannot track downeexactly which one it is, we are going to try and get some better pictures but in the meantime, can anyone recognise it from this pic?

Edit - I cannot add links yet, is there any way of adding a link to the picture?

While You cannot post a pic, type in google pic search " solitary bee". I am sure there is a picture of your bee..

It looks like a leaf cutter or an adrena but they don't plug the nest with mud, and as I've said, Google images aren't overly helpful on this occasion.

Do you get yellow mason bees then? We've got at least 8 if so.

We're real novices in this game so really appreciate your help.

Do you get yellow mason bees then? We've got at least 8 if so.

We're real novices in this game so really appreciate your help.

Yes, lots of them around here,often hundreds in the walls of old buildings.
They like small holes or tubes,which they plug with mud after depositing pollen and an egg,several in a hole.

There are a few pictures of them and the types of nest in this link......https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=y...ASdq4CwBg&sqi=2&ved=0CFwQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=627

Last edited:
Great picture - love the yellow jodhpurs :)

My wife has managed to take some pictures so can I private message a member the drop box link please for them to list them on my behalf ?

Yes, lots of them around here,often hundreds in the walls of old buildings.

Or new buildings!!

I'm currently living in a <4y old house on a boxy modern estate. I was astonsied to see lots of these buzzing round all the houses. Then realised that the builders have left a series of plastic rawlplug-like tubes, facing outwards above all the window and door frames on every house. The masons think they are a fantastic gift! The law of unintended consequences; I'm expecting hordes of woodpeckers any minute now!

the plastic rawplug type things are apparantly left in because the lintels that they use are metal now not stone and they condensate and the plugs are there to let the water out... this is what i have been told

Latest posts

Back