bees in my cavity wall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjenks

New Bee
Reaction score
So we have bees going into the cavity wall of our house from a small gap in the mortar. Video HERE.

I'd like to try and get rid of them without harming them so I put a mesh cone over the hole which allows them to leave but make it's harder for them to enter. The cone has been up for 2 days now and fairly effective; the ones that can't get in either congregate at the base of the cone or are now searching the wall for other holes. A small percentage of the bees have figured it out and either land directly on the tip of the cone and walk in or land on the base and casually walk directly to the tip of the cone on the outside before sauntering in (clever buggers). I was hoping they might get tired of trying to get in and go set up shop somewhere else after which I could plug up the hole with fresh mortar.

Can anyone confirm:
  • what type of bee they are?
  • will they be gone after summer?
  • is there likely to be a queen in the cavity?
  • are these the type to build hives?

Thanks.

They are bumble bees, look like tree bumbles. They will be gone in a couple of months, do no structural harm, and aren't aggressive. I would remove the cone, leave them alone, and patch up the hole once they are gone.
Honey bees (that we generally keep in hives, are altogether different.
Hope that helps

Thanks for confirming. "Tree bumblebee" on google does look like them - I did notice the white bottoms beforehand but thought it might be a variation of a masonry bee given the location. So assuming there is a queen chilling out in the cavity is it possible she will hibernate in there or is it more likely she will leave by autumn?

Thanks for confirming. "Tree bumblebee" on google does look like them - I did notice the white bottoms beforehand but thought it might be a variation of a masonry bee given the location. So assuming there is a queen chilling out in the cavity is it possible she will hibernate in there or is it more likely she will leave by autumn?

The queens hibernate somewhere else. The nest will be empty over winter. So come autumn you can block the hole up if you want

Cheers guys, advice taken. I'll wait till the end of the year and plug the hole up.

They will be gone by end August.. no need to wait any longer.

Back