Bee attack or bad reporting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mabee

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last edited:
https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/02/ohio-man-20000-bee-stings-recover
I just read this article about a man who while trimming a tree cut into a so called “bee nest” and was then attacked. According to a source he had 1 inch stingers left in him, huge bees, even if the Africanised variety!

Interested to know your thoughts…
The UK press are sometimes prone to exaggeration so I suspect the Merikan press will be more so. Mind you reading local papers in the UK some of the contributors of the source information could be wildly exaggerated also. 🤣

This is in America and they are a cross with the African aggressive bees. Not surprised at all if it is mostly true.

This is in America and they are a cross with the African aggressive bees. Not surprised at all if it is mostly true.
what? 1" long stings?
And as for African bees being 'agressive' I've yet to see it, and I've seen quite a few. The aggressiveness happened after the cross not before

what? 1" long stings?
And as for African bees being 'agressive' I've yet to see it, and I've seen quite a few. The aggressiveness happened after the cross not before
I did say 'mostly' true! I can imagine that if you are tied to a tree next to a bees nest that you have just disturbed and they are at all aggressive, even if it is the Americans that have made them so, then your chances of a few thousand stings seem high!

I've read somewhere the lethal dose of bee stings is circa 200 - 400 for a human. so 20,000 seems a tad on the high side especially if the chap has survived.

LD50 is 19 stings per Kg of body weight. So if the guy was around a metric ton in weight, he'd have a good chance of surviving 20,000 stings

LD50 is 19 stings per Kg of body weight. So if the guy was around a metric ton in weight, he'd have a good chance of surviving 20,000 stings
Interesting, a local beek took about 200 which hospitalised him and the Dr's said he nearly died, I guess its largely dependant on the person. Safe to say, I wont be seeking to identify my "level" anytime soon :)

Looking at the length of my bees' stings in proportion to their length I reckon those bees must be at least 6" long if in proportion.
Not sure I'd take up beekeeping on that basis!

Imagine if three or four were butting your veil...

James

Latest posts

Back