bearings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
stupid question about bearings,

i am looking to buy a thrust bearing, they all come quoting three numbers ie

Thrust Bearing 51100

3 part

Accommodates axial loads

Separable For Ease Of Mounting

10 x 24 x 9mm

do i take it that this bearing has a 10mm hole in the middle 24mm wide over all and 9 mm thick??

Depends upon country of origin... but I am sure that is correct
there is also a dot system one two or three dot giving the tolerance or interference fit of the shaft,

when I can get into my shed have a book there that has full specs... somewhere under all the Chinese hives!

Have a happy new year!

bearing are in a shop in blighty and as for the fit, i was thinking of within an inch ish??

just managed to get hold of a drill powered water pump( no drill) was thinking of a scaffold pole with on the top 20 foot up a wood boss 200mm round with 6 stainless dog bowls about 200mm round fixed to it some what like an Anemometer connect the ply wood bos to a 6mm threaded bar run it down the inside of the scaffold pole and set the pump at low level to whizz round at the same speed as the dog bowls.

i just need to sort out a thrust bearing for the top and a coupling for the threaded bar to plain spindle shaft on the water pump and half a dozen dog bowls from pound land

There are times when doing it on the cheap is more effort than it is worth.

Have you thought of looking for a propeller?

PH

at the moment i have a free water pump thats drill powered. costs so far is nil

the kiss way seemed to be scaffold pole and pump inline, propellers and gearing and multiple bearings ect seamed a little past the kiss level, this pump turns but i would not say it was overly stiff, i take it its a rubber impeller inside a casing

Hedgerow ... you should try the BB&KA site for wind power !!!

I can see if you have the parts for free it could work, built a similar device using an old VW generator and a load of drain pipe for "sails".... worked well until a freak blast tore the sails off.. and SWMBO banned me from any more experimentation!

we had four dc gennprators at the allotment last year untill the wind also striped them bare, we never did find two blades?

we used dc motors and a bicycle wheel and parts for gearing up the rpm

pvc drain pipe blades are ok but the time spent building proper wooden ones would have been better.

the big issue will be the dog bowls is speed verse power.

the closer they are to the axis centre the higher the speed but the further they are away the greater the torque avalible.

i was going to start with a small 8"/200mm ply boss to start with as speed is first

then maybe load some weights on it to increase the fly wheel effect then may be take it out to 500mm with wieghts and larger dog bowls?

pete i am not sure but i think it stands for 10mm wide 24 dia 9mm spindle

You were correct originally Pete.

10mm bore, 24mm diameter and 9mm bearing thickness. Load capacity 15.3kN

http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/skf/51100/1-direction-thrust-ball-bearing-10mm-id/2868460.aspx

I assume that your hub will be mounted on a vertical axle and that this bearing will be at the bottom? As not suitable for radial loads. I imagine that you will have a sleeve or roller bearing at the top.

Standard practice would be for an axle to be turned down to a 10mm fit so that the axle shoulder would rest on the shoulder of the bearing which would take the thrust/weight of the axle and assembly.

Of course you will want to mount your bearing in a housing.

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Housings+&+Inserts-Housings/c16_17/index.html

Just Google "Bearings West Midlands" and dig in with your beadies and have a bit of a read. Hog the PC for a while.

as ever hombre your knowledge has no bounds, one will pop over to them next week with the great plan/fag packet drawings and see whats what,

i do have one question, now that i have given the fags up , one is running out of fag packets, what do non smokers design on?

Ah, the back of envelopes Pete, me ol' mucker. If you need more, then just pay for the gas or electric a bit late and they will send you one with a red letter in, to give you more design space. Either that or a pack of A4 copier paper from one of the local supermarkets.

On the other hand the practice of advertising on envelopes is a right pain and must frustrate the postie looking for the address amongst the pictures. With nowhere for me to scribble.

You will also want to mount the bearing mounting on a horizontal plate, to allow limited horizontal adjustment, so three or four hole fixing.

Below the bearing either a collar to fix a solid rod or a tube to fit the driven tail.

Is it apparent that I had I have considered (but not made) large bespoke rotating antenna structures? One day . . .

Ripped apart an old spin drier to relieve it of its motor... drum spindle and bearing was in a heavy alloy cast casing with three long arms to fix down... perfect for a wind pole! any help?
Spin drier was a very old Creda

Can't let you have mine tho... using on wood turning lathe Mk .. about 20 by now!

Post up on You Tube when you have it up an runnin!

sorry pete i got it wrong by the looks of it hombre knows his stuff or was that professor hombre lol

Nah, just had a similar problem some while ago and needed to ask the same question. Vaguely remembered where to look. Most houses selling bearing realise that a lot of potential customers need the basics or they will never sell into new small scale customers.

well so far i have sorted out the scaffold pole and the wire tie guides agian from the last lot.

i will go to the bearing suppliers first and the pound shop dog bowls one the way back , once or if i have managed to get what i wanted, i will be doing it in a few weeks time, thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back