BBKA Study notes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what i was saying is that being examined in the material DOESN"T help with your beekeeping. Reading, taking in and understanding wide range of information DOES.

In some respects, that's a fair enough point. The exam itself arguably doesn't matter, it's a bit of paper to wave at people. But People seem to like having bits of paper waved at them and, for that matter, getting them too.

To me the purpose of the exams is to make me a better beekeeper. If I wanted to learn botany in this detail I would study it. There are many things in the examination syllabus that will improve my beekeeping but it seems a minority percentage of things have been added for ? sake.

Whatever the point you see I don't.

I'm sure bits of it probably have been added "for the sake of it" by the people who set the syllabus. If you do module 3 it's made clear that you need to know the scientific names of the conditions. Why you need to know EFB is called melissococcus plutonius is beyond me, but you do. I presume if you study medicine you're required to know what athlete's foot is called too

To me the point of the syllabus and exams is to make me a better educated beekeeper more able to make an informed decision which, in turn, will make me a better beekeeper.

I guess it depends on what you mean by a "better" beekeeper. One of the posters above obviously wants an exam on his way of keeping bees. the syllabus should be geared towards that and the exam exclude any mention of techniques or hives that he deems irrelevant. That's fine, but misses the point of the whole thing I feel. He already knows what's best, so what's the point of taking an exam on the general topic of beekeeping when he already knows his way is best?

How do you define being a better beekeeper?

To me the purpose of the exams is to make me a better beekeeper.

In my view the purpose of "study" is to make me a better beekeeper. The purpose of an exam is to test the effectiveness of that study by testing my knowledge and understanding.

Well, good luck to all those taking exams tomorrow. Remind me to grumble about Acarapis woodi if I don't get to wax lyrical about it at length :)

"Romans go home"

Yes, nearly 40 years since I did written exams and memory not as good.

Results for March's Module exams have started arriving in the post today... fingers crossed for everyone :)

Last edited:
Scraped a pass in Module 3 which was a nice surprise, I'd convinced myself that I'd fluffed it.

Many thanks for access to your resources. I can imagine how many hours of work must have gone into them.:hurray:

I could do with an answer to Q10 please

I'm going to offer whoever is setting this year's paper a massive bride

You might generate more interest if you offered a slim one.

funniest post in the thread

I am glad that the US doesn't hold the record of people not understanding exams and the reason for them. I am sorry that those people are among the beekeepers. Just because you work with Honeybees that fly and sting, doesn't mean that you don't need to know about other flying, stinging insects. How can you tell someone that that flying stinging insect is not a honeybee and you don't collect them--you kill them and why. The trip is nothing compared to the to the things you see and do on the way to the end.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I too, am afraid of tests and exams. I haven't been in school since 1960. So therefore I study everything I can in hopes that I retain enough to pass. Again it is not the paper that works, it the knowledge that I gain in getting that paper.

I'm going to offer whoever is setting this year's paper a massive bride

You might generate more interest if you offered a slim one.

funniest post in the thread

Depends which bit(s) of the bride are massive.

Hi all,
claiming total ignorance about these BBKA exams, what is the use of the certificate you get apart from making you study and learn and claiming to be a knowledgeable beekeeper.
Is the certificate a professional prerequisite to indulge in beekeeping? Is it mandatory for a commercial beekeeper to have one? Is it handy for academic reasons only or what?

Any qualification is a demonstration that you have a certain level of understanding of a subject.

I feel that the qualification is largely a side benefit: for me it is secondary to a structured course of study that helps people to increase and develop their knowledge and understanding of apiculture. I prefer this to an ad hoc system of study.

Studying for BBKA examinations/modules can be self directed, it can be done as part of a group, it can be done by distance learning. You can choose to study and not do the exams.

Ultimately accreditation through the BBKA's modular system or through FIBKA's examination system (I think) can satisfy the entry requirements for the National Diploma in Beekeeping. That is an internationally recognised qualification. Not everyone considers study and accreditation/qualifications to be self aggrandisement or paper waving. There are plenty of people who hold themselves up to be experts who cannot winter bees or raise a few queens for themselves: are such people really experts or just suffering bad luck? No one needs to have a qualification to 'claim' they are an expert.

I think most honest beekeepers would say that they are learning about bees all the time and all you can hope to do in beekeeping is to use your knowledge and that of your friends and acquaintances to inform how you manage and work with your bees to best advantage. Knowledge gleaned from any source can therefore help you and your bees.

Last edited:
Thanks Teermore,
thought one needed this certification on order to sell (his) honey, and as I see the syllabus is quite extensive and requires academic knowledge..
Nick

Any qualification is a demonstration that you have a certain level of understanding of a subject.

I feel that the qualification is largely a side benefit: for me it is secondary to a structured course of study that helps people to increase and develop their knowledge and understanding of apiculture. I prefer this to an ad hoc system of study.

Studying for BBKA examinations/modules can be self directed, it can be done as part of a group, it can be done by distance learning. You can choose to study and not do the exams.

Ultimately accreditation through the BBKA's modular system or through FIBKA's examination system (I think) can satisfy the entry requirements for the National Diploma in Beekeeping. That is an internationally recognised qualification. Not everyone considers study and accreditation/qualifications to be self aggrandisement or paper waving. There are plenty of people who hold themselves up to be experts who cannot winter bees or raise a few queens for themselves: are such people really experts or just suffering bad luck? No one needs to have a qualification to 'claim' they are an expert.

I think most honest beekeepers would say that they are learning about bees all the time and all you can hope to do in beekeeping is to use your knowledge and that of your friends and acquaintances to inform how you manage and work with your bees to best advantage. Knowledge gleaned from any source can therefore help you and your bees.

:iagree: :iagree:

(... and you're correct about the entry requirements for the NDB: highest national qualification - FIBKA, Scottish, and others have been accepted in the past alongside the BBKA's Senior Certificate (as was) or Master Beekeeper (as is).)

When will the results come from the March modules? Anyone know please?

When will the results come from the March modules? Anyone know please?

Traditionally I believe all candidates receive a letter in June, and the July (August?) issue of BBKA News lists module exam successes... so if you've not passed there's no 'name and shame' to worry about ;)

Latest posts

Back