BBC4 Planet Ant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone else watching this?

Glad I'm not the only one who struggles to find the queen...

I watched it. I found it fascinating almost to the point of wanting my own setup hehe. I had to laugh when they made a special point in saying the transmitter that they were glueing did no harm to the soldier ants. 5 min before that we saw them digging out the whole colony where 1000s of ants were left behind to perish after they took their queen away to be transported to England.:banghead:

I watched it. I found it fascinating almost to the point of wanting my own setup hehe. I had to laugh when they made a special point in saying the transmitter that they were glueing did no harm to the soldier ants. 5 min before that we saw them digging out the whole colony where 1000s of ants were left behind to perish after they took their queen away to be transported to England.:banghead:

Don't worry they'll remember and then one day ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7Zx7w5hGM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Didn't get to watch this on the night but have it queued up to watch on the computer later on. Looks like some interesting telly for a change :D

5 min before that we saw them digging out the whole colony where 1000s of ants were left behind to perish after they took their queen away to be transported to England.:banghead:

I watched some of it.
Would they be able to make another queen like bees do?

I'm not sure but I doubt it after that level of destruction. Their whole habitat was destroyed. They'll have become food for other creatures so not too bad.

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

You should see many simliarities in behaviour with honey bees as ants and bees are all in the same order - the aculeate hymenoptera, along with wasps and a few oddities like lacewings.

Didn't get to watch this on the night but have it queued up to watch on the computer later on. Looks like some interesting telly for a change :D

Repeated tonight BBC4 10pm.

AND in HD on BBC HD at 11.20 again tonight

Note that the BBC is having a series of Insect programmes under the banner of "Alien Nation".

Programme webpage http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00scslp with Alien Nation links.

Latest posts

Back