BB wear suit washing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocko

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Does anyone know the instructions for washing please? Can veil go in too? Shed got wet and now mould on it :(

Thanks

do you hand wash the veil?

If veil is removable, remove it and rinse in tepid water. I always hand wash suit in the hottest water my hands can stand. I only use non bio / non colour enhancing liquid soap, fairy non bio usually, as I am sure I read somewhere that bio washing liquids/powders leave a residue that make your suit appear to glow in the eyes of bees and wasps.
bee-smillie

When I wash the hood which is not every time I wash the suit, I put it inside a pillow case to protect it at same temp and with washing soda added to powder.

maybe that would be the optical whiteners in the powder.

also bio powders are really bad for the environment.

I just put the hood inside the suit and do the zip up and wash as normal.

Mine too.
I fold the hood and veil into the suit and zip it up. The veil has never fallen out and I've never had a problem with it.
Wash in liquid soap (I have very soft water)techwash or washing soda

Thanks everyone.

So 60 degrees even with the veil tucked inside?

Can you wash leather gloves? Also manky and mouldy.

Thanks everyone.

I stand corrected. EVERYTHING gets washed at 40˚ here at home.
I don't use leather gloves but I don't think you can wash them. They go hard.

From the president of our local BB&KA group..

I have a number of suits, I keep them in a sack
each time I wear one I put it back in the sack with the others
and each time I need a clean suit I reach into the bag and there is always one cleaner than the one I put in !

Thanks everyone.

I wash my gloves with a water and soda crystal mix, with the gloves still on my hands. Once clean (i have to use a scrubbing brush to get them clean), dry the gloves with a towel, then rub Olive Oil into them to stop them going hard. Take the gloves off and let them dry out naturally, but not on a fire or near heat.

Two quick things.

I have never had a problem washing the veil separately.

If you want to remove propolis from leather gloves pop them in the freezer and after a while, if you remove them, the propolis just cracks off the gloves leaving them a lot cleaner....

James

I stand corrected. EVERYTHING gets washed at 40˚ here at home.
I don't use leather gloves but I don't think you can wash them. They go hard.

I've washed my gloves with the suit - then leave them air dry naturally - no problem yet but it won't budge much of the propolis

Surgical goves don't need washing and gives you better 'feel' - I don't even remember where I last saw my original lether gloves...

R2

I wash my suit as I do my overalls. Bucket of warm water plus bio powder. Soak for 2 hours. Rub out worst stains. Rinse several times. Hang to dry.

Minimal work, no washing machine damage, tolerably clean result..

As I rarely use gloves - marigolds for really feisty bees or disposable vinyl for lots of propolis, washing them is not an issue.

I'm a KISS sort of guy :)

Suits in at 40, always non-bio. Veils have on occasion been put in the machine (a double size load machine) and have had the boning or whatever you call it crack on one so now hand wash the things.

Gloves? I have the blue ones with sewn on gauntlets for baaad bees but 99% of the time wear the orange equivalent of the long blue clean-room gloves worn by the bee inspectors. They are great...SBI friend reckons two pairs for grumpy bees and they rarely sting him through them.

Can't see the point of leather gloves - except that they help perpetuates the myth that short lug frames are awkward to handle. Sensitivity in the hand region makes handling bees so much easier :D. Thinking about it certain suit makers that give away free leather gloves with suit have much to answer for...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back