Bananas for chalk brood?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eerrrmmm,

for those of us who don't do farcebook*, what does it say?

Dusty

* Go on Facebook? With a face like mine?

She says:

Haha!!!! Just had it confirmed twice this morning about bananas getting rid of chalk brood!!! Woop woop. I seem to recall I was slaughtered on here about six months ago about daring to mention bananas!! Had it confirmed on a disease tour I went on today. And another chap on another site confirmed the same from an examiner. Apologies please!!!! 😉 lol

Someone else says:

I'd heard about the banana idea and thought it was interesting but same article said it made the bees a bit agitated and stingy. I had bad CB 3 weeks ago and a seasoned beek said to sprinkle table salt down the bee space between the frames. It worked a treat in that it made the bees clean house and remove the mummies. Don't think it got rid of the CB altogether but certainly reduced the number drastically. Think I might give the banana a try to see if it gets rid of the CB better!
Anyone else tried the salt sprinkle??

You don't need a photo of your face to go on facebook.

My mentor swears by banana skin for chalk brood too.

Tried the salt on a severe case of cb last year and it made no difference.requeening sorted that problem.I have hardly seen any this year.

don't bananas have the pheromone that can cause bees to attack in them?

Banana's produce natural Ethylene Gas when ripening.. commercial tomato grower's use this gas to ripen tomato's but not from bananas .. maybe the Ethylene has something to do with fixing chalk brood or fighting.. ??? .

:ot:
One joke - one man had diarrhea and went to doctor. Doctor gave him recipe with which will take tablets for it and to return in 7 days for check. When man left, doctor realised that mistakenly he prescribed him sedative..
After 7 days man returned and doctor explained him mistake and asked how is he. The man said I still have diarrhea but don't care at all.. Maybe bees feel merrier ..

Ethene gas is injected into rubber trees to make the latex flow

Perhaps this may be the answer to all the problems with the Flows hive?

Yeghes da

Increase temperature inside hive forget the bananas. Google chalkbrood and Flores

It helps a lot when you keep hive interrior warm.

But then when you have opportunity, change the Queen to disease tolerant breed.

What exactly do you do with the bananas?! I've never heard of this. I've always been taught to avoid bananas when tending a hive that day.

What exactly do you do with the bananas?! I've never heard of this. I've always been taught to avoid bananas when tending a hive that day.

I eat half a banana most days. Maybe that's why I am stung so much? :)

I've no idea! There was a little discussion on the Fb thread about whether you put the skins in or the whole fruit.

Don't know about bananas but since I switched to OMFs chalk brood has mysteriously vanished from my colonies. This may be due to the fact that carbon dioxide above a threshold concentration is needed to trigger the fungal spores of Ascophaera apis to gerninate and that increasing the ventilation flushes out the heavier than air CO2 exhaled by the B larvae. It may be also due to never breeding from any queen whose offspring get chalk brood.

Don't know about bananas but since I switched to OMFs chalk brood has mysteriously vanished from my colonies. This may be due to the fact that carbon dioxide above a threshold concentration is needed to trigger the fungal spores of Ascophaera apis to gerninate and that increasing the ventilation flushes out the heavier than air CO2 exhaled by the B larvae. It may be also due to never breeding from any queen whose offspring get chalk brood.

Similar experience of reduced chalk brood but with open OMF but also with insulation above the Crown board

One of the apiaries was used by BBKA for a GHA training event and because it is shaded the first thing the NBD beekeeper said was, ohh good i expect we will find a lot of chalk brood here............disease inspection of eight hives later not a single chalk brood mummy

Last edited:
Back