Bait Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My Bait hives are all being investigated by scout bees today. One in particular seems to have a lot of surveyors. This is the first time this year I have seen any activity around them.
Things are looking up!

Let's hope you get some takers :)

You're luckier than me, my bait hives seem to be only attracting masonry bees at the moment. I'm opening it up to empty out the clay and grubs jammed between the frames every week.

Same thing happened last year until late August when I caught my first swarm, they didn't seem to worry about the masonry bees in residence, just ousted them and took over.

Yesterday was the 1st day I noticed activity around my bait hive and today success!
Can't wait to set up another!

Yesterday was the 1st day I noticed activity around my bait hive and today success!
Can't wait to set up another!

bees been visiting one of mine over a week now, and still havent arrived, hopefully will soon:hairpull:

I too have had some very keen interest in my two bait hives (2x stacked poly nucs) approx 20/30 bees in and out continuously throughout the last 3days...... Fingers crossed.

I've just moved the swarm from today and set up another bait hive in the same location!
Fingers and legs crossed!

Set up 4 bait hives and I have got a lot of interest in 3 of them 2 wooden nucs and 1 poly nuc they have all got some old used frames and a few drops of lemongrass oil

Thought my luck was in yesterday when I visited my bait hive that's on top of a porta cabin, loads of bees going in and coming out.
They were just robbing , oh well.

I had lot of intrest in one of mine earlier in the week but nothing since.

How often do you replenish the Lemongrass Oil ?

I have two out one I can watch most days with only the occasional passing bee showing interest and the other I have been told 100’s of bees flying in and out so off to check it out later this morning. The thing with this 2nd one is its approx 100 yards from one of my apiary’s mmmmmm so is it a false alarm or have I missed something???

The Arsenic pile wins again..... hope Defra do not find the badgers living in the spoil heap in front of the open mineshaft!

Old National, rusty roof, old comb, solid floor and Grandad's secret recipe bait sausage..... always first to attract a swarm

Went and checked on my 2nd bait hive after reports of activity as mentioned in post 14 and yes a swarm has taken up home and will inspect in a week once they have settled in. I will also check on Monday to see if I missed something from my bees some 100 yards away.

The Arsenic pile wins again..... hope Defra do not find the badgers living in the spoil heap in front of the open mineshaft!

Old National, rusty roof, old comb, solid floor and Grandad's secret recipe bait sausage..... always first to attract a swarm
Because I'm miles from you and would not be in competition with your swarm collection could I have your grandads secret recipe please. I will sign the Official Secrets Act :thanks:

Because I'm miles from you and would not be in competition with your swarm collection could I have your grandads secret recipe please. I will sign the Official Secrets Act :thanks:

It's called Grandad's secret recipe sausage because the main ingredient is.............
Granddad!

I set one up a couple of days ago and before I put the roof on It had a visitor , I waited till it left before fitting the roof, Can you imaging if I had squashed a scout whilst putting on a roof !!
I used lemongrass oil and was surprised how strong it is .

Latest posts

Back