Avoiding exams

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
I want to learn more about beekeeping as there are vast amounts I don't know. However I am not keen on paying fees to take exams I don't need. The bees will not know I have papers. Instead I am reading all the books I can get my hands on some of which are suggested reading for some of the modules. Is there any way to discover the knowledge covered by the modules without going the official route?

You could buy both copies of Yates, read and inwardly digest.

Read widely... library is full of books on bees.... and there are gems of info you would never get from any " exam syllabus "
Try to get to apiary meets... full of wisdom... and some wackie ideas !

You can get the various module syllabus off the Bbka site. They're pretty vague but as a catch-all, cast your net wide, guide will give ideas as to the areas to look into.

Our county association tends to run study groups for specific modules with no requirement that attendees actually sit the exams and its a format that, I find, works very well. It's quite easy in beekeeping to "tunnel" down a fairly narrow set of techniques and the study groups make you investigate and discuss with other Beekeepers all doing subtly different things which I find invaluable.

Try to find a study group locally that is working on one of the modules. The ones I have participated in and are aware of all make it clear that the study is the goal, and the piece of paper at the end is optional.

You'll enjoy the discussions, and will get pointers to more than you might have found on your own. Plus any form of regular meeting gives a good impetus to keep up the reading / thinking / discussing on a regular basis, rather than drifting or procrastinating :)

^^^ like Neils said ;)

Busybee

you can obtain past module exam papers from the BBKA for £1 each (emailed to you) which may help you to formulate a reading list etc gauge your progress.

Forums like this one can also be invaluable. Form your own online "study group" in sections like this one. Doesn't have to conform to the BBKA syllabus. If bee swarming, for argument's sake, is what's interesting you at the moment, start a thread on it. It's 'your' thread at that point so set the agenda ask for advice, further reading, or set outright that you've read paper x that states <something> but you reckon that <something else> happens because that's what you've seen and what do others think.

go to your local library and get them to order these two book on the library exchange scheme The wisdon of the hive by Tom sealey £80 and Buzz about bees by Jugen Tautz £30..then you'll understand bees, well understand a bit more about bees than most people but not a lot

Now that's a distinction to be made, do you want to understand bees or beekeeping?

Busybee

you can obtain past module exam papers from the BBKA for £1 each (emailed to you) which may help you to formulate a reading list etc gauge your progress.

:iagree:

I use the past papers for exam revision. If you can answer the questions straight off, then you are doing ok in terms of what you know.

How relative it is to reality is another matter! Recognition of a disease is vital, where as being able to spell it in latin is less so!!

I want to learn more about beekeeping as there are vast amounts I don't know. However I am not keen on paying fees to take exams I don't need. The bees will not know I have papers. ...

Ten pounds per exam is hardly an issue, I think. You might not 'need' an exam, but it really helps to concentrate the mind on acquiring the knowledge you say you want to have - and your bees might just benefit from it.
Kitta

Thanks all, especially for the book references. I decided a few years ago that I am sick of doing exams just to be able to prove what I know. Now LEARNING stuff - that is different and can only do the bees good because I will be able to make my own decisions after weighing up the situation but it will be from a firm knowledge base. Thanks again.

Ten pounds per exam is hardly an issue, I think. You might not 'need' an exam, but it really helps to concentrate the mind on acquiring the knowledge you say you want to have - and your bees might just benefit from it.
Kitta

I agree, a curriculum helps to focus the mind as well as enduring that key areas are covered. If you're dead set on learning about bees it's little extra effort to gain a relevant qualification.

Been to the library. They don't have any record of bee books by Yates although they found (expensive) study notes for sale elsewhere. They did find a reference of The Wisdom of the Hive by Tom Sealy but say that no libraries have it, probably due to the cost they said. They did find a copy of Buzz about bees by Tautz in Hackney which is out on loan till 2013. They charged me £2 for an inter library loan and said I may get a message explaining it is not available.

Oh dear I really, really, really didn't want to do more exams. Grr.

two books by Celia Davis
'The honeybee, out and about'
'The honeybee, inside out'

both books cover everything needed to take all the bbka modules, I believe, and in an easier to read style than yates.

I met Celia when she gave a talk at the norfolk BKA AGM, what a lovely lady beekeeper she is.

two books by Celia Davis
'The honeybee, out and about'
'The honeybee, inside out'

both books cover everything needed to take all the bbka modules, I believe

Er, no. They're good books - excellent in fact - but do not cover all that you need for all the modules.

Latest posts

Back