August nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about taking the nuc, see how it develops over the coming weeks, and if too weak unite with one of your exiting colonies? At least you'll get a nuc box out of it!

Before we get too far down the road postulating outcomes, requirements, etc, let's be knowing a bit more - like is this likely to be a 6 frame nuc on Lanstroth frames?

Rather different set of circumstances than a weak 5 framer on National standard frames!

5 or 6 national frames, hopefully 4 of brood.

I made up some nucs yesterday with two frames of brood and a mated queen, and I am quite confident that they will build up to over winter nicely.

Does that put your mind at rest?

It would also assist us if you gave your location rather than the some what general UK that you have up. ;)

PH

I made up some nucs yesterday with two frames of brood and a mated queen, and I am quite confident that they will build up to over winter nicely.

It would also assist us if you gave your location rather than the some what general UK that you have up. ;)

PH

Thanks, Polyhive. My original post did mention my location, but I will alter my profile.

Hi Mickby sorry to butt in but I am interested in what part of south Cumbria you are from

When people refer to south cumbria it narrows the towns somewhat it just so happens I was born and raised in Kirkby Lonsdale and still have fading but strong ties with the town and its people.

I went to school there- quite a few years ago. Do you visit back there at all? [I suppose we have gone way off topic]

PH

Hmm, and I made up a nuc with three frames of brood and a frame of stores at the back and a tiny entrance....and the stores were emptied overnight. I guess the flying bees took it home :mad:?

I'm working on trying to get an August swarm through the winter, was about 2 lbs of bees. Hived it last Tuesday and am hoping with heavy feeding to get it to a full deep and at least a super by end of september. Figure then I should be able to get it to Feb and then give them fondant. Hived them onto 10 frames of undrawn wax foundation. Wed morning they started bringing in pollen and appeared to drawing comb on 5 frames at once - oddly not centre frames, 5 consecutive frames starting at hive wall frame on left and working to centre. Have a 2 bay miller feeder on top with a gallon of 1:1 syrup on it that they appear to be taking readily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/100143776349078707865/HamptonSwarm?feat=directlink

Last edited:
I'm working on trying to get an August swarm through the winter, was about 2 lbs of bees. Hived it last Tuesday and am hoping with heavy feeding to get it to a full deep and at least a super by end of september. Figure then I should be able to get it to Feb and then give them fondant. Hived them onto 10 frames of undrawn wax foundation. Wed morning they started bringing in pollen and appeared to drawing comb on 5 frames at once - oddly not centre frames, 5 consecutive frames starting at hive wall frame on left and working to centre. Have a 2 bay miller feeder on top with a gallon of 1:1 syrup on it that they appear to be taking readily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/100143776349078707865/HamptonSwarm?feat=directlink

Do you prefer 1:1 syrup for feeding this time of year?

1:1 syrup is close to the sugar content of nectar. Need to simulate a flow so as to induce them to draw wax quickly. Need to get them to draw out those 10 frames of foundation and get brood hatching as soon as possible as we really only have 8-10 weeks left to get them winterized. May get some Indian summer in October that will allow feeding a little later. A real worry is that thymol treatments tend to interfere with the queen's laying so may have to forgo that with this hive, possibly may not matter as the break in brood availability due to swarming may interfere enough with mite cycle to make it a moot point.
Would really like to get them through to next year as they are beautiful looking bees, significantly bigger than the Italins in the 2 flanking hives, also extremely gentle, have done the minor hive manipultions so far with no smoke or spray. Will be interesting to see if that hold true when I check for presence of eggs this coming week. Am hopeful as it was quite a big swarm that it has the old queen though this late in the year suspect that it may well be a virgin queen - luckily there are still many Carniolan and Russian drones around even though it looks like the Italians booted there's a couple of weeks back probably as a result of the fact that there is quite a dearth as we've had only one short rainfall since the beginning of June.

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. It turns out that my nuc will not be available after all- blamed on queen rearing problems.
Better luck next year, we hope.

Depends on the nuc....if it's a bursting with bees job with a good queen or a weak one prone to the very-present wasp attacks and robbing. I think the minimum recommended for over-wintering is six frames of brood.

Be interested to hear what others have to say...

lol, if its 6 frames of brood then it aint a nuc! may was well drop the lot in a full hive with new foundation and plenty of feed.

PH

I agree PH, still plenty of time for 2 frames of good brood and a shake of extra bees, + laying queen to build up. I would feed once and then back off until early Sept and feed again and this should keep her laying if the weather plays ball.

I think :)

I have a few more to make up this week and thats it for me.

JD

Latest posts

Back