Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Apiarist 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
What does it mean by "spinning resin", ... propolis, but you don't spin it? Or....

"We got two twin tubs from an auction, one for spinning honey and one for spinning resin"

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 25 that I maintain for clients.
Anyone know the date of the article?
I assume it's recent as it mentions they had to get special permission to fly to the meeting in the US due to covid.

Boston Bees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
It probably is a very valuable company. The appetite of the gullible to buy unregulated "health" products (like propolis in this case) is almost unlimited.

Apiarist 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
Anyone harvested propolis? I didn't know you spun it??? I thought you place a sheet of fine mesh where the Dummy Board goes (Nationals have a space for a Dummy Board), and then you take it out at the end of the year, pop it in the freezer, then bend the plastic (type) mesh and it cracks / pops off?

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone harvested propolis? I didn't know you spun it??? I thought you place a sheet of fine mesh where the Dummy Board goes (Nationals have a space for a Dummy Board), and then you take it out at the end of the year, pop it in the freezer, then bend the plastic (type) mesh and it cracks / pops off?
Yes that's how you do it ... often thought about it as my bees will propolise for England ... I think the spinning out of propolis is a newspaper hack who has 'misunderstood' what was said .... a fairly regular occurrence in our newspapers !

jenkinsbrynmair 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I think there's a lot of questions unanswered in that article. Is he even a beekeeper? who on earth would extract honey in a washing machine? especially for selling on as retail.
He's obviously made a success of whatever venture he had but the article fails to mention exactly what he was selling.

Boston Bees 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-20
I think there's a lot of questions unanswered in that article. Is he even a beekeeper? who on earth would extract honey in a washing machine? especially for selling on as retail.
He's obviously made a success of whatever venture he had but the article fails to mention exactly what he was selling.
Our Brands - Bee Health Limited

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There was someone on here a few years ago - can't remember who - that was suggesting heather honey could be extracted with an old style spin drier ...

Edit: That would have been polyhive then ...

Last edited:

Little_bees 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Put the mesh screen on top of the frames under the crown board. They can propolise it within a week if you have the right (or wrong?!) sort of bees.

Latest posts