Asparagus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone know if Asparagus when it flowers is a good nectar/pollen source

I maybe wrong but I always thought that asparagus was havested long before it would get to the point of flowering. Young shoots contain sugars that old shoots dont have so it would be very un-usual to see asparagus in flower.

Would it make some peoples Honey smell really funny??

I think they leave the last lot flower so they die back ready for next spring.
But you know what eating asparagus does to your wee - do you really want to try the honey?

It made something of mine smell funny once. I had a quite word with a nurse friend of mine who asked if I had eaten asparagus. Thank god for that I thought

No use to honey bees, we have two Asparagus beds at work and a wild colony of honey bees in the roof of an adjacent building, i have yet to see a bee on the Asparagus.

bees collect pollen from asparagus flowers ( well, my bees do1)

bees collect pollen from asparagus flowers ( well, my bees do1)

Yes
Bright orange pollen from the tiny flower. I have 350 or so crowns

Thanks for replies, can't think the smelly wee chemicals in the spears will transfere into the flowers, anyway they are right next to 1/4 acre asparagus plot so will wait and see

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to flower - they might just be an all male variety!

Mine are the 91% (I think) male variety.

Only one plant survived the winter, hope 'Mother nature' gives me a girl.....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back