Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An Asian hornet making a nuisance of itself today whilst I was inspecting some hives - smoked it with the smoker as it was the only weapon I had to hand...that got rid of it alright :smash:

You are lucky only one!. I have 4/5 at a time around my 5 hives here. However, I have 5 traps around the front and each trap get full in about 2 weeks. I like to think I am winning at the moment.

Relatively few here compared to the number of bees, unlikely that I will need to take any action - I never have yet apart from in springtime.

Chris

You are lucky only one!. I have 4/5 at a time around my 5 hives here. However, I have 5 traps around the front and each trap get full in about 2 weeks. I like to think I am winning at the moment.

I hadn't set any traps this year, either for wasps or hornets. I think the Limousin Asian hornets must all have gone down to Alpes Maritimes lol

Back handed one the other day , the influx I thought I was going to get the other week has just not materialised . Distinct lack of Hornets and Wasps as well . Shows how bad May and June was .

Asian hornets have just appeared in the last few days. Killed one Saturday, it dropped to the ground and hubby stamped on it, hit one with my bee brush and smoked his mate yesterday. Put trap out last night. I hung this behind the hives. Do you think I should put it in front?

Asian hornets have just appeared in the last few days. Killed one Saturday, it dropped to the ground and hubby stamped on it, hit one with my bee brush and smoked his mate yesterday. Put trap out last night. I hung this behind the hives. Do you think I should put it in front?

No.

They really aren't that big a deal unless you get really serious numbers always in front of the hive taking bees or you have a failing colony, in which case it's doomed anyway.

European Hornets take honey bees as well but in the scheme of things with hundreds, maybe thousands of bees dying every day anyway it amounts to nothing except that you see it. Chris

Thanks Chris, I was told if I see 4/5 AHs at a time in front of the hive, I need to move my hives. What do you think ?
Moving would be the last thing I would want right now as a late planted field of Sunflowers is just coming into bloom.

That means four or five as a constant presence, so a constant replacement as one takes a bee there are always others if you see what I mean, never a moment during daylight without several in front of the hive.

That would be near on impossible to happen you this year in Limousin and would require a huge colony in close proximity.

Just keep an eye on things.

Chris

Not a good photo, sadly only option into the sun....

....anyway, Asian Hornet today "chewing" a bee before taking it back to its colony.

Chris

I trapped a number of queen Asian hornets early in the year and since then have only seen the odd one. European hornets are more abundant though.

It would appear that the non summer of 2012 and the long winter that followed may have reduced the number of queens.

Couple more today, the one on the fennel is interesting because it shows how they will get sugars anywhere, first is on crown-board.

Nice face eh?

I ought to be killing them really but I'll wait for the new queens in October, pointless exercise killing workers really in my view, mind you requires a good bit of self control not to lash out...

Chris

Chris,
Good Photos. I want to lash out at them too. I have been known to use my electric mini mosquito bat against them. Really quite effective .....but in 10 mins they are back.

Lets hope the French Govt. action is effective !

Through the traps we've managed to kill a few around the hives - this year definitely been more European than Asian though.

Through the traps we've managed to kill a few around the hives - this year definitely been more European than Asian though.

Perhaps they are getting the message from the Front national that immigrants aren't welcome.

Chris

No mated queens until October.

After that fertile queens disperse for winter just as other wasps do and set up new home following spring.

Won't be a queen at this time of year away from the nest.

Chris

Very comforting to know, thanks Chris.

How widely did the NBU send out their email?
Who is the furthest North to have got it?

Latest posts

Back