Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. It's a bit premature to record Gloucestershire as having been colonised by velutina. Similarly the map doesn't show relative population densities.

It is if you consider how far its travelled in a short space of time Karol, its an extremely dynamic insect. They have never shown relatively densities since I've been following the spread, Probably because its impossible to record in such accuracy, over the vast areas in the continent.
It might be a premature edition to the map, but at the end of the day it has "colonised the area" whether it can be controlled is another issue, we are all hoping that it is controlled, but its not looking promising is it!!

Can anyone provide a definitive answer to this Asian Hornet saga.
Have more than one been found or is it just a dead one by the side of the road
Is the bace fook post from the NBU/Alien species team or from someone trying to double guess the situation?
I did a search yesterday and found some hysterical nonsense in an online local paper about the 'Asian' hornet captured in a pub loo. The captured beast in a jar was obviously a European hornet.
If there has been only the one 'sighting', a dead one beside a road, (as someone said probably fallen from a vehicle that had collided with it on the continent'? I think it is important that we are updated.
I welcome the calm sensible advice offered by our forum members who deal with this issue in their continental apiaries. Can all forum members post the facts and keep us all informed? I am a little concerned that the civil servants have a plan that they will stick to and not have the time to update us or the common sense to modify 'The Plan' if it is not working.
'All major battles are fought uphill, in the dark and pouring rain. All battle plans become useless when first contact is made with the enemy'!!!!

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with Brian more. As I said in my previous post the NBU really needs to keep us informed of what the real situation is.

Yes indeed it does. There is a nonsense post on Facebook about other hornets spotted hawking around hives followed by an exhortation to join Beebase. Questioning the poster he has said it's come from the BBKA. I think it's been quoted here. Nothing on Beebase or BBKA websites other than the original press release. One SBI on FB has said he knows nothing else apart from what has already been released by NBU. So Chinese whispers. Let's hope NBU is quicker of the mark than their usual warnings concerning starving bees

Our local press is having a field day - "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

As an example, read this b*llocks:http://www.westbriton.co.uk/asian-h...ller-insects/story-29749197-detail/story.html

I've never heard Gloucestershire described as the South West and both of the pictures in the piece appear to me to be of the European Hornet - certainly not the Asian Hornet.

I suppose in the absence of real information, conjecture fills the vacuum.

CVB

Our local press is having a field day - "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

As an example, read this b*llocks:http://www.westbriton.co.uk/asian-h...ller-insects/story-29749197-detail/story.html

I've never heard Gloucestershire described as the South West and both of the pictures in the piece appear to me to be of the European Hornet - certainly not the Asian Hornet.

I suppose in the absence of real information, conjecture fills the vacuum.

CVB

As far as the media and government are concerned the south west starts around Newbury.

...the NBU/Alien species team ...
'All major battles are fought uphill, in the dark and pouring rain. All battle plans become useless when first contact is made with the enemy'!!!!

...seeing these two in the same post made me grin...

But then I was an admirer of Sigourney Weaver in my youth

:) :)

the latest I'd heard was that several had been caught near Hives in the vicinity and sent for Genetic analysis, the results showed that they were from the same genetic material as France meaning that this wasn't a new bloodline that had found its way across the globe, the positive of that is that they say ultimately the inbreeding would weaken them.
as yet I don't believe that the nest has been found.

There is an update on the BBKA website issue today, confirming more sightings.

Latest posts

Back