Asian Hornet Trap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Got sent this as as forward from the RBI.

Apolgies if it has been posted before, I couldn't see it had.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Honorary Secretaries and Webmasters of Cornwall Beekeepers,
As you know there is a great threat that the Asian Hornet may arrive
in the UK in the near future.

In France spring trapping of the young queen hornets has been found
to be effective way to reduce the number of Asian Hornet nests.

I would like you all to please contact your members and make them aware
of the fact sheet, perhaps by email or I could send out copies.

It would also be great if the Fact sheet could appear on the Group
Websites.

Thanks for helping with this.

I hadn't seen the earlier thread, so thanks :)

Hornet paranoia is never far away. And how right is it to be trapping and killing native hornets, assuming that the trap cannot discern between the two species.

The NBU claim that "If the European hornet is being trapped the traps should be removed".

And if anyone from the NBU is reading this, it is a Hornet Trap, okay. It is not an Asian Hornet Trap.

You have to watch these beekeepers, you know. Fixated and crazed as some of them are with killing anything that might harm their precious bees ...

Last edited:
My understanding is the trap can discern between the two types of hornet - but it needs the hole cut very accurately. The principle is the Asian hornet is slightly smaller so can fit in a smaller hole. A bit like a QX!

My understanding is the trap can discern between the two types of hornet - but it needs the hole cut very accurately. The principle is the Asian hornet is slightly smaller so can fit in a smaller hole. A bit like a QX!

Quote from NBU document in first post in this thread: It is important that only the target insect is captured, so if the European hornet is being caught the traps should be removed. This is the trap for catching overwintered queens.

I think the hole-size thing is relevant to the trapping of workers.

:iagree:
The funnel hole should be no more than 7mm otherwise you will trap the larger European queen. Simples

Latest posts

Back