Asian Hornet in Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job BA isnt around or he would now be getting the blame for hornets as well!
S

It was just coincidence that Varroa was first identified in the Cockington apiary... just down the railway track from Buckfast Abbey!

Hornets in one of my apiaries hawking around in the sun this morning... definitely of the European variety

Be vigelant out there folks!

Yeghes da

Unfortunately our association apiary manager has just reported seeing an Asian hornet hawking and taking a bee from the front of one of his own hives in his garden in Plymouth. Obviously he is waiting for the NBU to confirm the sighting, but he seemed pretty sure of what he saw.

European hornets hawk and take bees, just not so often and there hawking isn't as well practised.

I will be making some traps and putting out this weekend but I would be suspicious if I saw any species of hornet around my bees, just dont see them this far SW.
Biggest concern I have is that visits to apiaries are reducing as we approach winter, so the little monsters may go unseen until it is too late!
S

Is it too late to ask the Government to include the Asian Hornet in their Brexit negotiations / border controls agreement?

I believe it is inevitable that these little monsters will eventually inhabit the UK. Maybe we should look at education around hive protection and what else we can do to protect our colonies, whilst hopefully the boffins at various Universities look at ways to permanently remove them back to their native Asian regions.

I went to a lecture by a member of the UK Bee Unit about three months ago on the subject of the Asian hornet. They are doing their best. At a subsequent meeting of a local beekeepers club (no names - no pack drill) I raised the subject. The people to whom I spoke had not attended the lecture and did not seem particularly interested. I was more than a little bit surprised.

I learned at the lecture that the AH has a different breeding strategy to Apis mellifera. It produces workers all through the season and has a foraging preference for sugary substances. In September this changes. This is probably because at the end of the season they produce about 100 queens per nest and need high protein. They then prefer insect/animal material. Mashed prawns
is apparently the most alluring bait.

I suggested baiting in September with mashed prawns containing a slow-acting poison. (Bees are vegetarian and will not thererfore touch it). The suggestion was not well received but there was no cogent reasoning behind the rejection (some burbling about poisoning dogs. With a bait hung on a tree this seems improbable).

If Asian Hornets come anywhere near my hives they will be offered in September a feeder full of mashed prawns with a diethyl-lead seasoning. They can then feed this to their developing queens. It will prejudice the development of the queens nervous system and reduce their chance of surviving winter to near zero. How is this different to poisoning varroa mite? Neither species belong here.

The downside of this is the introduction of lead into the environment. However - the amount is miniscule and tightly targeted. The only concern I have is the possible impact on our native wasp population, but if an area is treated to clear AH it could be back-populated with native wasp queens raised and fed in captivity.

Last edited:
I've seen European Hornets attempting to Hawk around my hives at one site, they don't seem terribly good at it and in fact I saw and managed to catch on my phone a brave guard bee fly out and attack the Hornet, they both dropped to the floor, the bee returned and the Hornet made a hasty retreat.
I'm not at all alarmed by an occasional European Hornet but always keep an eye out for the dark devils!

The only concern I have is the possible impact on our native wasp population, but if an area is treated to clear AH it could be back-populated with native wasp queens raised and fed in captivity.

Oh that'd not be a job to admit to: breeding wasps. :-/

Looks like they found the nest: https://www.[bbka].org.uk/news_and_events/asian_hornet_nest_found_in_north_devon_

The European hornets I have around my apiary seem very proficient to me. They catch a bee coming back with nectar, fly off with it into a bush or small tree and behead it then off they fly to their nest. It has been fewer this summer, but now they seem to be back.

Just received information saying a nest has been found and will be
destroyed tonight. DEFRA are expecting some coverage on BBC tomorrow
Nos da

Plenty of Honey

I have sent you a PM.

ValMc - any further news on the sighting in Plymouth? What area of Plymouth are we talking - not near Devonport, is it? I'm going to a beeks meeting at Mt Edgecumbe tomorrow and wanted to keep everybody informed of local developments.

CVB

Just received information saying a nest has been found and will be
destroyed tonight. DEFRA are expecting some coverage on BBC tomorrow
Nos da

Good....hope they move on to Plymouth next and find the nest of the AH seen by the apiary manager.

ValMc - any further news on the sighting in Plymouth? What area of Plymouth are we talking - not near Devonport, is it? I'm going to a beeks meeting at Mt Edgecumbe tomorrow and wanted to keep everybody informed of local developments.

CVB

It was sighted in the Barne Barton, St. Budeaux area of Plymouth, overlooking the river, so I suggest that you make everyone aware of the location at your meeting tomorrow. The NBU have not confirmed the sighting yet but have said that it is highly likely that it will be confirmed. That is all I know at the moment.

Here's the link to the BBKA "latest News" website where they talk about destruction of the Woolacombe nest - https://www.-------------/news_and_events/news.php

I must say, the DEFRA PR people have really improved since last year with speed of reports - now if only they contained a little bit more detail.

CVB

p.s. the link will not be completed so just look on the BBKA website under Latest News. Good to see BBKA on the ball too.

It was sighted in the Barne Barton, St. Budeaux area of Plymouth, overlooking the river, so I suggest that you make everyone aware of the location at your meeting tomorrow. The NBU have not confirmed the sighting yet but have said that it is highly likely that it will be confirmed. That is all I know at the moment.

Hell's Bells - Barne Barton is only 800 metres across The Tamar from me. Refilling the traps tomorrow and dusting off the badminton rackets.

CVB

What is bit odd is that Woolacombe is on the north Devon coast. I wonder if this is a new invasion from the Continent or did a fertile AH queen hitch a ride down the M5 from Tetbury last year?

Hell's Bells - Barne Barton is only 800 metres across The Tamar from me. Refilling the traps tomorrow and dusting off the badminton rackets.

CVB

Hope the wee beesties stay the Devon side of the Greatgreygreengreaseytamarriverallsetaboutwithgrantfundedquangoesandotheuselessdrainsonanalreadystressedeconomy!

I can see the three towers clearly from a few of my apiary sites... can I borrow a couple of traps???

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back