Ashforth feeder question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Can anyone tell me where these feeders are placed in the hive please? I assume it is on top of brood box and supers and covered by the crown board. Do the holes in the crown board then need blocking. It's been so cold we have been warned of starving bees, want to have a feeder ready if I can open the hive tomorrow. Why am I asking daft questions? Because I am a complete newbie!

On top of the brood box. You shouldn't need supers if you are feeding. Crown board on top of feeder.

Can anyone tell me where these feeders are placed in the hive please? I assume it is on top of brood box and supers and covered by the crown board. Do the holes in the crown board then need blocking. It's been so cold we have been warned of starving bees, want to have a feeder ready if I can open the hive tomorrow. Why am I asking daft questions? Because I am a complete newbie!

"Supers".
You shouldn't be feeding with a honey-crop super installed.
You shouldn't be needing more than one, yet, unless your bees have been very successful foragers in this mixed-up season. And if they have been that successful, they certainly won't be starving ...
If the supers are empty, then get them off before feeding - otherwise you'll be cropping sugar syrup instead of honey.
If they are full only of bees (noted that you are on WBC, with a small bb), then you maybe ought to be thinking of going brood and a half.

Ashforth - install the way round that the syrup will drain towards the bee-access with the slope of the hive- which should mean the access being at the front of the hive.

Thank you both, you have confirmed my thoughts and taught me a bit more besides, I have another brood box ready and the feeder if either are required, many thanks.

You could also under super if your bees are running out of space whilst you have your feeder on

Latest posts

Back