Poly feeders vs plastic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solonik29

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, I just wanted to check with community on your preference when it comes to feeders?

I am mainly running on poly hives with a few cedar and use a mix of poly feeders and English feeders.

The English feeder is 6 L, simple design with the cone, sine to use and clean.

The poly feeder is 15 L (absolutely huge), covers nicely the broodbox and can be used to feed fondant with the crown board by flipping upside down (no eak)

The only issue with poly feeders that I found is cleaning from mouldy sugar syrup is an absolutely nightmare, plus it is kind bulky and a size of a super so when you bring i.e15 back it takes all of space in the car.

I run wood and poly 14x12. My bees are a few minutes walk away from the house so I can visit daily. I use 2litre round rapid feeders

I run wood and poly 14x12. My bees are a few minutes walk away from the house so I can visit daily. I use 2litre round rapid feeders
Yes ... easy to top up daily until they are finished, any left can be tipped back out without having to wiggle about a huge surface of syrup and remove at the end without unduly disturbing the bees. Not for the beefarmers amongst us but ideal for the hobbyist. They are dead easy to clean as well with a bucket of hot water and some washing soda.

ideal for the hobbyist
You're the same as me. I can't do without a bee fix every day. I walk out to the bees daily and in winter put my ear to the side of the hive. They get bad news too before everybody else. At least they don't argue....just hum sweetly back.
I used to make life and death decisions every day when I was working now I talk to bees! ....Daft.

Hi, I just wanted to check with community on your preference when it comes to feeders?

I am mainly running on poly hives with a few cedar and use a mix of poly feeders and English feeders.

The English feeder is 6 L, simple design with the cone, sine to use and clean.

The poly feeder is 15 L (absolutely huge), covers nicely the broodbox and can be used to feed fondant with the crown board by flipping upside down (no eak)

The only issue with poly feeders that I found is cleaning from mouldy sugar syrup is an absolutely nightmare, plus it is kind bulky and a size of a super so when you bring i.e15 back it takes all of space in the car.
Two points……. Put thymol in your syrup and minimal/reduced mould.
Paint the inside of feeder it’s easier to clean.

You're the same as me. I can't do without a bee fix every day. I walk out to the bees daily and in winter put my ear to the side of the hive. They get bad news too before everybody else. At least they don't argue....just hum sweetly back.
I used to make life and death decisions every day when I was working now I talk to bees! ....Daft.
Suitably eccentric perhaps but never foolish or daft; and don't forget the notion of talking with bees is well established. Why, only recently the practice made the national news when the Royal Beekeeper, John Chapple, informed the bees of Buckingham Palace and Clarence House of QE2's passing.

Yes ... easy to top up daily until they are finished, any left can be tipped back out without having to wiggle about a huge surface of syrup and remove at the end without unduly disturbing the bees. Not for the beefarmers amongst us but ideal for the hobbyist. They are dead easy to clean as well with a bucket of hot water and some washing soda.
I have dedicated feeder boards with either one hole for English feeders or two for a pair of round feeders.
Match the hole size with that of the feeder so they're not allowed up inside the cone and do architecture underneath.
Thymolated syrup is a must as the weather cools of if you can't get to the bees for a few days.
I've got one maiszemore jumbo feeder that fits the cedars but it's only used when I've run out as it's a pita.

I always talk to my bees, so much cheaper than a therapist and probably just as effective.😁

when you bring i.e15 back it takes all of space in the car.
Don't bring them back.

Save transport costs & storage faff by leaving box feeders on all year as crownboards, syrup or fondant feeders and split boards.

No longer a need for crownboards, and hive thermal efficiency is increased.

Don't bring them back.

Save transport costs & storage faff by leaving box feeders on all year as crownboards, syrup or fondant feeders and split boards.

No longer a need for crownboards, and hive thermal efficiency is increased.

I only bring the feeders back once a year for cleaning. If there is too much yeast the syrup can go mouldy.

Poly feeders and mouldy?

Its not something we ever meet..AFTER we realised the problem is that syrup impregnates into the material and gets mildewed...grey between the beads looks ugly..is a devil to clean.....but against that its mostly cosmetic. and so its really not worth the effort. Our very first poly feeders were before such advice was given and look grotty and grey. (and slightly heavy due to sugar in the walls)

All sorted by painting the inside of the feeder as Ian stated earlier in the thread. We spray paint all the sides...to prevent UV degradation....and then pint the insides with masonry paint...only needs to be where the syrup lies...so the big reservoir only...down the slot does not need it.

I am presuming this is what has been happening..we never see syrup going mouldy in these feeders....but we do always feed approx 2-1 syrup so deterioration is not an issue. We have not thymolated syrup since the 1960's.

As pointed out earlier..as a beefarmer we cannot envisage going round feeding several times instead of one topping up very small feeders. Ditto with fondant when we have to use it.....these 1kg packs are tiny and need so many visits. Horses for courses.

Back on the mouldy feeders.......getting rid of the barriers and using straw means the bees clean the inside of the feeder for you. this feeder has been painted internally and externally (masonry inside, exterior gloss outside) has been in service 3 years. Its a Smith size, holds 14 litres. Only cleaning it will have had is a scrape off of any wax adhesions and a dip in Virkon S to sterilise.. The slightly grey colour of the internal walls is not mildew or mould...we tint the paint a little so we can see that the coat is complete. the intensely white poly shows through any gaps in the cover.

These bees were hanging from the underside of the crown board and dropped into the feeder as it was raised. When the cold weather comes they go back down and join the cluster.
20201030_162156.jpg

Last edited:
Likewise. My three in the garden are on the way to the greenhouse so I always check in with the girls when I pop out to water the plants.

Latest posts

Back