artificial swarm cunning plan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondervet

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
had a debate at beekeeping school this week.

if doing an artificial swarm -when putting old queen with frame of brood into new box would it be a cunning plan to leave a queen cell in there with her? What are the chances of getting an orderly supercession so you end up with a new young queen in this hive? Or is old queen likely to abscond with her swarm in this circumstance?

Probably a dim question but what the hell...

The new virgin queen will emerge.. and the old queen will swarm again.

So I'd say it is a bad idea...

Ben P

she'll more than likely swarm leaving behind a tidly ickle colony that you may have difficulty building up to strength to comfortably over winter.

supercedure tends to happen later in the year

she'll more than likely swarm leaving behind a tidly ickle colony that you may have difficulty building up to strength to comfortably over winter.

supercedure tends to happen later in the year

:iagree:

Tried just that with a "wild swarm" that visited late one summer,
little bees took my syrup and blogged off !!!!

Put puny colony left with another just to help overwintering using the old newspaper trick (PSA F* would be impressed as used the Financial Times!) No idea which queen won as I requeened in the spring.
Descendants... more or less... still going strong.

(note use of new verb wot I lerned today!!!)

:iagree:

Tried just that with a "wild swarm" that visited late one summer,
little bees took my syrup and blogged off !!!!

Put puny colony left with another just to help overwintering using the old newspaper trick (PSA F* would be impressed as used the Financial Times!) No idea which queen won as I requeened in the spring.
Descendants... more or less... still going strong.

(note use of new verb wot I lerned today!!!)

Very impressed, as I read it every day. Should do really, as I work there.

But probably not a bad idea in any case, as the paper is pink because unbleached. It was chosen originally because it was far cheaper than bleached paper.

Latest posts

Back