Are your bee's still flying ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.'
Just now on my bee yard temp is -10C .

On sunday it is promised +2C

Weather forecast here is +15C tonight then +12C - +14C for the next few days. Positively balmy compared to Finland.
p

My bees were flying last weekend. I've been away since. Quite a few training flights. The colonies took it in turns to fly one after the other as the sun went round the apiary.
Pollen was mostly a pale colour - almost beige.

a heads up, looks like the next 10+ days will stay mild to very mild during daytime - once the wind backs off

No bees flying but a few garage roofs gone up the road

I went over to check that my hives are still standing upright and saw one single brave little bee flying in and out of the hive entrance :)

Went to see if mine were okay today. Nice and secure. Tapped the first hive,about a dozen came out then nipped back in,other hive, two stuck their heads out,thought better of it and disappeared.

12.30 today, Sunday, Weather a little windy with sunshine. All colonies out in force generally taking the rays.

2pm the numbers dropped sharply and by 2.30pm only singletons flying/returning.

Last edited:
Mine are still flying today; it's such wonderful weather for this time of year! Pale pollen still coming in; I presume it's ivy?

Our bees were out collecting pollen this morning. Lovely bright weather, and not too chilly. We took the opportunity to take the lids off and give them their pre-winter Hiveclean treatment.

Went to the local BKA apiary, and the same story - loads of bees flying. After yesterday's storms, we thought the bad weather had arrived for good, but apparently not.

All my hives were buzzing around this afternoon on orientation flights. It`s been a lovely day down here in Devon considering the weather yesterday.

temps due to finally drop from 22nd November onwards, it seems like next week will be warmer than this last week (but just as wet).

Feeding

Hi, my bees were flying strongly today but one colony was bringing in a lot of pollen and appears to have used more stores than the other already.I finished feeding on 9th Oct, both colony's are on single national brood and were packed with stores then.Question given the mild weather, even here in the n/west, is it too late for some more syrup or would fondant on top of the crown board be better?
PS great forum Mark keep up the good work.Ainsie:cheers2:

Just remember the longer this weather goes on, the shorter the winter is likely to be. If there is a glitch next springtime, like it doesn't arrive on time, simply be prepared to feed.

Last year bees were out and collecting pollen until Christmas Eve, and then next in the middle of February, so it is not so different (yet) to last year.

Regards, RAB

In Berkshire they were flying strongly yesterday, bringing in reasonable amounts of pollen. It wasn't like summer gathering when the pollen baskets are huge and the poor bee can hardly fly, but the baskets were full enough. Pale yellow pollen.

Latest posts

Back