Are pollination services in decline?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think maybe Pete meant those bought in industrial quantities to pollinate acres of strawberries under glass?

Yes, sorry should of made it clearer, just wondered what the price comparison was compared with a beehive with a lot more foragers in

Yes, sorry should of made it clearer, just wondered what the price comparison was compared with a beehive with a lot more foragers in

The difference is that a package of bumbles can be just left. They are not aggressive and they dont swarm. You just leave them. A hive needs looking after!
e

Maybe just get a flow hive you only need to turn the tap to look after those!

Talked with a strawberry grower about this. His reasoning for bumbles rather than honeybees was that bumbles start work earlier in the year and earlier in the day and do not sting his workers.

Talked with a strawberry grower about this. His reasoning for bumbles rather than honeybees was that bumbles start work earlier in the year and earlier in the day and do not sting his workers.

Exactly what I was told and also bumbles deal with the tunnels better even when they are opened up.

As in the wild I should think the queen's hibernate until next year if they get mated.
E

The polytunnels that I see by Perth and Dundee are open at both ends and there are hundreds upon hundreds of them.

PH

my understanding is that there are no queens in the boxes of bees and when they have done the job in the polys then they are to be destroyed.

the box of bees are supposed to last 10 to 12 weeks then you destroy them but as has been said some mate with indigenous males

Friend has a 10 meter long polytunnel near her hive.. Bees get stuck looking for light/exit in polytunnel and ignore plants completely..

Again, it all boils down to people demanding a summer fruit pudding with 'local' fruit at Easter and strawberries at christmas

Yes
We’ve forgotten how to eat seasonally
I have bags of raspberries frozen so they will do instead of strawberries with my porridge

Bumblebees in polytunnels or greenhouses are supposed to not be let out due to disease risk. But if you open some windows on a hot day, some are bound to leave. :(
Honeybees don't generally work well in greenhouses/polytunnels.

Latest posts

Back